Homework

Na-Rae sat in one of the waiting rooms at BigHit company with Jungkook, Taehyung, and Jimin. The maknae line had been brought here because they received a note about how behind they were with their homework. They had already spent at least an hour working on their assignments. Despite their best efforts, Jungkook and Teahyung; lack of focus had become evident. Na-Rae noticed these signs in the smallest things—tapping their feet on the ground, aimlessly throwing pens in the air and attempting to catch them, humming songs they had practiced earlier, and drumming their fingers on the table. Na-Rae and Jimin, on the other hand, had less work but were using the time to perfect their assignments for an A grade.

"Okay, I'm bored," Jungkook declared, clearly indicating his desire to stop working.

"How far are you?" Na-Rae asked without taking her eyes off her English paper, which she was still concentrating on.

"I've finished math and history. Only English is left, but I'm so done with it. If I have to concentrate on those papers for one more minute, I'll go nuts," Jungkook sighed. His frustration matched with Taehyung, who laughed in agreement.

"Miss Park won't give you more time. That's why we're here today," Na-Rae reminded Jungkook, as she finished her assignment, closed her book, and looked up at him.

"Can I copy yours?" Jungkook's puppy-dog eyes locked onto hers as he pouted, resembling a child whose candy had just been taken away.

"No," Na-Rae responded firmly. She tried to ignore the gaze she knew all too well because Jungkook used it always to get what he wanted.

"Nana, it's so hard, and your grades are always among the best. Just this once?" Jungkook inched closer, almost sitting on her lap, as he pleaded for her assignment.

Rolling her eyes, she tried to ignore his attitude but failed; "It's not that I don't want to help you but you'll never learn English if you keep copying my work," Na-Rae explained as she pushed him away, attempting to suppress her smile. Maybe it wasn't fair, because she knew the language too well, she needed to help him... but today she wasn't feeling it, it was always the same old excuse and she was tired of it. She only was good because when she was younger she took extra classes English and went on youth camps abroad.

"But we're friends, aren't we?" Jungkook said, using his charm to persuade her, well aware of how to get what he wanted.

"You've already copied it like four times in the past three months," Na-Rae pointed out as she pushed him away, determined not to surrender.

"But we're friends," Jungkook said again trying to lay his arm back on her shoulder.

"I told you,  you've copied it too many times already. You won't learn if you keep doing this," she said again.

In response, Jungkook let out an exasperated huff. Na-Rae, ignoring his annoyance, stood up and walked over to where Jimin was working on his assignments. She pulled out her phone, trying to suppress her laughter when she heard Jungkook's annoyed sigh.

"Kookie! Fighting!" she encouraged, making Jungkook stick out his tongue in response. He turned his body away, not facing her, still sulking over her refusal.

Na-Rae whispered to Jimin, knowing he could hear her, "Such a baby." However, Jimin was focused on his work and paid her no attention, leaving the two bickering aside.

°°° half an hour later°°°

Na-Rae's stomach had been growling for the last ten minutes. She hadn't eaten breakfast today, and for lunch, she had only taken a few bites of her sandwich, she shared it with Jungkook, who was hungry before they began their study group.