Eight | Valerie

I breathed in deeply after finishing the routine, trying to get my breathing back to a normal rhythm. "That was good! Better, not the best, but better. How are you feeling with the competition coming up in a few weeks?"

"I'm just hoping to nail that last sequence to really go out with a bang." I looked to Roxanne and noticed the smug smile on her face. "I know you think I'm crazy, but I won't feel confident until that last bit if perfect."

"I know. I'm glad you're seeing what I'm seeing. You have such an instinct for this, Valerie." When I got back to my apartment I took a shower and ate. The team has a pre-season game tonight at home. Brock is sitting out due to his actions a few weeks ago, but he's not completely out of the season. I'm sure my dad went to great lengths to keep things hush hush as he could. He also knows that if our program is going to get investigated, I have all the ammo I need to make sure U of M program gets shut down over us. Jaxon has destroyed any chance that program has of making a championship. I'm glad Brock got out.

Malorie wasn't coming with me tonight as she is in a study group for her semester class final. Those are coming up quicker than we all realize. Wren and I have a big final step in our class to make sure we're in good standing next semester. I walked into the arena and saw Katherine, Kayla and Sky. I sighed seeing them sitting right behind the boys bench. Katherine has on Reilly's sweater. I stuffed my emotions down and looked up to see Brock at the top of the arena, with a few other freshman who didn't suit up for tonight. Brock is dressed up nicely, in a nice suit set with his hair slicked back. I sat down next to him and patted his knee.

"How you holding up?"

"Good." He stretched out and looked down on the ice. "I'm supposed to report back to Coach what I think I could have done to help out in this game." I grimaced and looked down to my dad on the bench who was talking to Wren and Adrian.

"Oh good luck with that." I peeked over to the freshman and introduced myself. "Hey, I'm Valerie, you can call me Val. I'm your coach's daughter or you can look at it as Brock's sister." They both stared at me before shaking my hand briefly.

"Wait, so you two aren't dating? I thought that's why Coach was treating you a bit differently."

"No I kind of fucked up. Val is my family and Coach respects that. Coach Wilson is a good guy. He really knocked the wind into me over the summer. Great speech giver." I let out a laugh and gave Brock a hug looking at the freshman.

"How were both of your high school careers?" The two Freshman explained to me where they came from and their background. The shorter one, a defenseman named Henry, got his state Championship all the way out in Maine. The taller one is a goalie named Martin, goes by Marty, who got close to winning his state championship in Connecticut.

The game was good and the team tried to balance out a few plays. They got in trouble during one powerplay and Brock looked stressed throughout it all. "I'm such a shithead. I should be out on the ice."

"Remember to play your cards right and you'll be out there for the opener." I looked around the crowd for any eavesdroppers but didn't see anyone who could be a threat. During the first intermission the two freshmen head into the locker room with the rest of the guys. Brock stayed by me. "How do you feel your extra morning session is going? You're getting fast and really working on your feet skills."

"Yeah, that is making me feel a bit better. I'm making progress but I still feel like I let everyone down. I never wanted to put you in that position again. Seeing your face that night?" I looked over to Brock and saw the pain in his eyes.

"You never told me why you went."

"Did I have to? I'm sure you could piece it together." I bit my lip and sighed, leaning into him. Brock placed his arm behind me and adjusted. "I hate how you girls do this. You know it's not comfortable for us right?"