Twenty One | Reilly

I groaned as I saw Katherine walk into the arena. We just finished practice and I was tired. Coach is making us train hard by working on our speed and blocking shots. We made it to the frozen four, but that doesn't mean we've won yet. He's getting footage ready of the other teams we're going to play, and I would be a fucking liar if I didn't say I was worried about some of the teams we're playing. Katherine has not comprehended my silence .

I stopped talking to her and replied little to her messages. We haven't hung out and I haven't entertained her shenanigans. "Oof, she looks pissed." I looked over to Brock and grunted. Katherine is walking in wearing leggings and a bralette top of sorts. It really just looks like a bra and it doesn't give her much support. Her long hair is over her shoulders. "Reilly!" She called out. I sighed and stopped in front of her.

"What Katherine?"

"Where have you been?"

"Uh, hockey, classes, hanging with Brock."

"Exactly! You've been ignoring me baby." I blinked at her and shook my head.

"Not ignoring you, I'm just done." I saw the panic in her face before she stood up straighter.

"No." I blinked at her and Adrian, who was walking by gave me big eyes and a quick shake of the head. "That's not how our relationship works."

"I'm sorry... you think we've been in a relationship?" I stared at her and watched the irritation build up.

"Reilly! We've been dating since freshman year."

"I don't recall that. You've been... around, but I don't think I've ever referred to you as my girlfriend." Her mouth dropped open while her hands fell to her side.

"You cannot be serious, Reilly."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Katherine, look back at the facts. I've been here, but you've always been the one making the moves, plans and actions. I need to go, I'm tired. I'll see you around campus."

I heard her huff as I walked past her to the door. When I got to my truck Brock and Adrian were talking to Ben and Wren. "How did that go?" I flipped Ben off and he laughed. "She does not look happy leaving." I didn't even turn around. I tossed my bag in the backseat and nodded to Brock.

"I'm tired. I was going to make chicken and pasta back at the apartment."

"That sounds good." Wren stated and patted his stomach. "Coach is really trying to get us into shape. You think the other teams are that much faster than us?" We looked around and Brock let out a big breath.

"Maybe? We won't know until period one. Until then, we leave it all out on the ice." We got into our cars and headed back to the apartment. Brock helped me with dinner before the five of us scarfed it down. "So, no more Katherine?"

I looked over to him and shook my head. "It was a habit I got too far into. I did a lot of thinking when she left for the games..." I took a swig of my water and looked over at the dishes. I really did not want to do those. At least, not tonight.

Laying in bed tonight I couldn't stop thinking about Valerie. What I did to her. Made her go through. I walked away on her. How did I even approach that with her? How do I just slip that into conversation? I need to figure out a way for us to have space and ability to talk it out. I feel like I should bring a bottle of wine to this for her. I won't drink as that's what led us to this.

I scratched my jawline, feeling my stubble and sighed. The past three, almost four years without her have been interesting. Maybe if I call my mom she'd help. I need to have a talk with my mom, too. Air out our final thoughts so we can heal together. As much as I'd love to talk to Valerie first, I need to have a dinner with my mom. I wonder if she'll come up for a dinner and breakfast before I leave for the Frozen Four. I'll call her in the morning.