Fourteen | Valerie

I ran out of the building after Brock. A few people looked at me with confusion. My dad gave me a look on the way out, so I made sure to run a bit more gracefully. "Brock!" I called out walking down the pathway to him. He looked back but kept walking. "Brock you asshole. Come back." I stopped my walking and waited to see if he would. He got about 40 yards away before looking back. "I PROMISE I didn't invite them." He ran a hand through his hair and made his way back. I sat back down on the bench. Brock sat down next to me and I leaned my head on his shoulder. "I swear I had no idea they'd be here. They don't even have a nametag. They came on their own."

"I haven't seen them for close to a year." I crossed my ankles and huddled into his warmth. "They didn't even come to the hospital, Val."

"I know. One day they will come to realization." We were quiet for a while. The music and chatter from inside making it's way to us. I shivered and Brock took his jacket off and put it around my shoulders. I turned to the sound of shoes and saw my dad walking over.

"Brock. I swear they did not get any piece of mail or message. He actually asked me why he wasn't invited and had to find out from social media." My dad stopped in front of Brock and I. Brock looked up at him and rubbed his jaw.

"I know. It was just a shock. I'm not sure I can mingle with them."

"Remember that we're here for you. Claire and I." Brock nodded and my dad patted him on the back. He gave me a kiss on the head and walked back. "Don't take too much longer." I took Brock's hand in mine and gave him a squeeze.

"I'm your family. I will be the buffer and take on his comments. Focus on meeting the freshman families and building those connections." Brock looked down to me and I gave him a smile. "Come on, let's go embarrass some freshies."

"I'm glad you're my family." We walked back inside and Brock took his jacket back. As we walked by Melissa, she reached out and I gave her hand a squeeze. We made our way to the dinner table designated for us. I mentally cursed my father for the seating arrangements. Of course he would try to push buttons like this. At my father's table is: myself, my dad, my mom, momma Melissa, Reilly and Brock, Wren and his father and mother. Trying to get Brock and Reilly to talk with Wren as a buffer. Unfortunately for us there are two extra seats available at the table so Geoffry and Polly took them.

I took in a deep breath seeing Polly in a bright blue skin tight dress. I feel terribly for this women who has spent the better part of the past three years trying to impress her husband. I'm surprised Geoffrey hasn't divorced her. Brock was on my right, my father on the other side of him and momma Melissa on my left. Reilly is on the other side of her with Wren on his other side. Polly was beside my mom and Geoffrey beside her. Brock took in a deep breath and rested an arm on the back on my chair, tapping his fingers in hopes to escape. His leg is also bouncing.

"Well aren't you two a lovely couple." Brock went rigid and looked over to Reilly. Reilly was gripping his fork and staring at the steak tips on his plate. Geoffrey really knows how to push buttons.

"We're not. I'm his family." I stated, taking a sip of my drink with my chin held high. I stared Geoffrey Whitlock down and my dad cut in.

"Yes, Brock has made his way into our family."

"It's sooooo nice you adopted her." Polly patted my mothers forearm, slurring some of her words. Brock winced at the state of his mother and I looked at him. His jaw was taught with anger and yet his eyes showed his embarrassment.

"So Wren, you've been living with my son since Freshman year, yes?" I turned to the conversation momma Melissa started and looked over to Wren. He gave me a sympathetic stare, knowing the situation himself.