Twenty Two | Valerie

I stood up in my plane seat and itched to get off. I just flew in from New York after doing an interview with Kelly Clarkson and a radio interview. They were roughly the same conversations, however Kelly was a positive addition to the interviews. I appreciated her enthusiasm and the few unique questions. I grabbed my carry on and made my way down the aisle with it and my backpack. I'm excited I was able to time this so perfectly. Game one is tonight and I have a car waiting for me at the airport that will bring me to TD Garden. My hotel room is set up in the same hotel as my dad. I'll have enough time in between checking in and game one to take a nap. A well deserved nap.

First thing between getting checked in and napping is to check in on Brock. He said the team wasn't leaving until 4:30 and It's currently just after 1:00. It took me a hot minute to figure out how to get out of Logan airport, and when I did it took another chunk of time for me to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to meet my car. I eventually located my uber and hopped in.

When we got to the hotel, I texted my dad I was checked in and I'd see him after the game if he could. Mom is here along with Gordie, but they are eating dinner together. I didn't feel like that right now. I made my way to the elevator and up to floor twelve. After placing my stuff in my room and slipping my key card into my phone wallet I made my way back to the elevator. The team is staying on floor nine. Brock said he was room 920.

I knocked on the door to Brock's room and waited in the hallway. It has been exhausting flying all over the country, completing work with Wren and trying to catch up with school. I've also been trying to find a part time job now that I'm done skating for a few months. Maybe indefinitely. I haven't been feeling my passion lately.

The door opened and Reilly stood in front of me with his shirt half tucked in and his tie a mess of an attempt to knot it. He paused in the doorway and I looked over him. His hair has gotten longer and he has a sort of stubble forming. "Hey, is Brock in there?"

"No, he left to go downstairs already. He wanted to try to get rid of his nerves." I nodded and watched as he walked back into the room. I licked my lips and walked in, closing the door. I'm not sure why I followed him. Maybe a part of me is hoping we could talk.

"He told me he was nervous so I was going to see if I could help him realize he's good and what not." Reilly nodded and paced the room for a few minutes. I wasn't sure what to do to help him. He sat down on the chair and put his head in his hands.

"I'm fucking freaking out. We're in the final four. This could be a highlight and a push for my NHL career.. for getting drafted." I bit my lip and nodded. He looked over to me and I saw his shoulders sag. "Some of the guys we're going against are already drafted and signed. I shouldn't have researched them last night, but I wanted to see who I was going up against." He let out a humorless laugh. His brown eyes looked from the floor to me. I gave him a half smile and sat at the edge of the bed beside him. I looked around the room, trying to find words. This never used to be hard, talking to him. "I fucking miss you, Val." My eyes quickly looked to him. My mouth opened slightly and I felt the tears prick my eyes seeing his face. He's a ball of nerves. I took his hand in mine and gave it a squeeze.

"I thought being at the school with you wouldn't be this hard. But is has been." I brought his hand up to my face and kissed the back of it. He took in a sharp breath and I took comfort in the eternal warmth of him. "Seeing you live your life without me has been hard. I.. we knew everything about each other before the split. I still crave knowing what's going on in your head." I'd do anything to help him shake these nerves. We still have a lot to talk about, but it doesn't matter in this moment.

"I miss you Val." I nodded at him and he pulled me onto his lap. I nestled into his hold and rested my head on his shoulder, my nose skimming his neck. "I miss you so much and it's all my fault." His voice cracked. I kissed his jaw and sat up, making sure his gaze is on me. "It is. I walked away from you." I rested my forehead on his and smiled.