three, why is it always bermurda?

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER THREE
(MAGIC CLOTH IN AN OLD ASS CROSS...)

 "go, I think we have something" John B turned to JJ, AJ looking between the two boys

    "you sure?" JJ asked, taking another breath in.

    "yes I'm sure, go help Heyward" John B turned back to the papers in front of him and AJ.

    "shouldn't you go with them?" AJ asked, her eyes still on the doorway JJ came through.

    "maybe but" John B paused and AJ nodded.

    "but you don't trust me enough to leave me here with all of this. Don't worry, believe me, I wouldn't trust you either" AJ said with a shrug, turning back to the entry in front of her.

    "If this page from my mom matches this one from your dad, I wonder how many others do" AJ's words made John B's eyebrows furrow.

    "what do you mean?"

    "Well, they obviously separated these for a reason. Maybe they did that with everything. Ya know, to make sure someone couldn't get their hands on everything if something happened. A failsafe way to ensure only they had the answers."

    "Well, let's start trying to piece these together then"

    The two teenagers sorted through the piles, seemingly endless piles of papers and journal entries. It was driving the two crazy. "so, let's get this straight. You found the gold that was on the Royal merchant through some old plat maps?" AJ looked up after thirty minutes, the thoughts flooding her mind.

    "Yeah, well, when I realized Denmark Tanny had survived Sarah and I got into the archives in Chapel Hill and we found this letter he wrote the day he died to his son. Told him the wheat was in the water."

    "The wheat symbol?" AJ had to sort through a few pages before finding one of her mothers, wheat symbol on the bottom. "like this one?"

    "yeah, it's on all of the gold" John B answered with a nod, his eyes trailing back to the papers in front of him. AJ did the same, continuing to scan.

    "They went after Pope's dad" JJ's loud voice startled AJ slightly and she turned, watching as the rest of the pogues filed into the Chateau.

    "Is he okay?" John B asked, getting up slightly.

    "Yeah, he's okay. It was Limbrey's guy. My dad said I should go see my Meemaw."

    "well let's go then, ill drive" John B was standing now but Pope shook his head.

    "the place she's at won't let visitors till tomorrow morning."

    "Okay well, that gives us from now, till then to figure out this damn key on our own" AJ turned, already looking through the papers. She felt the spot next to her be taken and she didn't need to turn much to realize it was Pope.