eight, lost in an unfamiliar place

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER EIGHT
(
I'M WAITING, ENLIGHTEN ME...)

)

 "How does your eye feel?" Pope asked as he and AJ walked through the overgrown grass of the Chateau's lawn. There was currently no food in the house and the pair decided to go for a food run, at the very least to get something to eat for breakfast.

"Like I got my shit rocked not gonna lie" She responded through a yawn.

"it doesn't look that bad, just a bit bruised" Pope assured the girl and she nodded, offering him a smile.

"do you think we could make a quick detour and stop to see my dad? I haven't checked in since the other day" Pope asked and AJ shrugged her shoulders.

"yeah, of course, that's fine" It was her turn to assure the boy with her words and the two teenagers soon returned to their silence-filled walk. AJ's eyes stayed trained mostly on her feet, the tattered converse really giving it their all.

The air that morning was still, barely a breeze out as the sun shone through the trees. It wasn't hot though, the air was cool enough to make AJ wish she grabbed a sweater but also warm enough that she wasn't a shivering mess.

The bell on the door rang as the pair walked in, the air-conditioned store reminding AJ just how little clothing she was currently wearing. Her light green tank top showed more skin than she'd currently like exposed. Her ripped jeans, which seemed to be more like shredded, did very little to keep her legs warm.

"Dad?" Pope called out, stepping further into the store as he did. AJ followed behind, not even sure what she was expecting. Part of her felt more at place with John B and JJ, the two who had shit families like hers. A sick comfort of having nothing to lose. Though, the two boys had each other. Nothing about this island was comfortable.

"Dad" AJ stopped at the edge of the counter as Pope walked into the back, the boy stopping to look back at her. "you coming?" He asked and she looked around the empty store before shrugging her shoulders and following.

"hey Dad" AJ stood awkwardly by the door frame of the office, watching Pope hug his dad quickly. "how are you feeling?" AJ asked as Pope and his father pulled away.

"I'm doing okay" He waved off Pope's concerns and turned to AJ. "this the girl?" AJ looked at Pope at his dad's question and Pope stared at his father with wide eyes.

"AJ, nice to meet you" She smiled at him and he returned it.

"nice to meet you too AJ" There was a weird feeling settling in AJ's stomach. "so? Anything interesting about the key?" Heyward asked, looking between the two teenagers.

"We think we know why she wants it," Pope told him.

"Well, I'm waiting. Enlighten me" Heyward leaned back on his desk. His eyes trained on AJ and she shared a look with Pope, trying to read the boy.