twenty three, amelia jade routledge

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
(
I AM NOT IN LOVE WITH POPE...)

)

 AJ sat in the back of the boat, wanting to give her newfound uncle and cousin the time to reconnect. After a year missing and being presumed dead, finding Big John was practically a miracle.

Big John announced they were there and AJ looked up, helping John B tie off the boat as they docked.

"So what's the plan, pop?" John B asked, moving back over to where his father was. AJ followed after, crouching next to the boys.

"Just like I said, bird, just a little pit stop to get that thing I was telling you about" AJ looked to the building they were by, Bridgetown Antiques. "Then goodbye Bridgetown. Come on, partner. Back me up" Big John let out.

"All right. Let's make this quick" John B said, sharing a glance with AJ.

"I can stay, just in case we need a quick getaway" AJ offered and Big John sent the girl a smile. She watched the father and son head towards the store and she sat down.

She kept her eyes peeled at her surroundings, still very aware of the threat of their location. Especially being out in the open. She sunk lower into her seat, enough that she couldn't be seen but not too much that she couldn't see around her.

She reached for the phone that rested a few feet in front of her. She figured it was a long shot but she hit the contact and let the phone ring. It disconnected before the third ring and AJ let out a sigh.

She knew it was pointless to dial again, yet she found herself doing just that. A dull aching to hear Pope's voice and to know the pogues were okay.

AJ heard some hushed whispers and she turned, ducking down further as she did to find a few men on atv's. Singh's men. She felt a pit rest in her stomach, anxiousness rising. If she knew how many times her life would be put in danger for just being a pogue, she would have ignored her mother's request to find John Routledge.

When AJ believed the coast was clear she stood, taking a quick second look around before starting towards the antique shop. She cursed to herself as she got closer, having no idea where they were.

She looked through one of the windows, trying to stay out of sight. She pulled herself back to the wall when she saw Singh." fuck" She got out, keeping her body close to the building as she moved to the other side.

Every window brought her no closer to John B and his dad. Until there was no option left but the alley behind the store. She wasn't the biggest fan of it, but it was the only place left to look.

This window was a bit higher than the others and she needed to stand on her tiptoes to see in. The sight of John B brought a sigh of relief to her lips.

"Melly?" Big John whispered and she nodded, her hands trying to work at the window.

"it's stuck" She got out in a hushed tone, trying to pry the window. She stuck her hands through the holes in the window, pulling and pushing at it.