thirty, i need to say something

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER THIRTY
(
I OWE HER TWENTY BUCKS...)

 "what do you mean he showed up?" Pope let out, he, Cleo and AJ walking up the road to Kiara's

"he was at the Chateau last night, said he knew mom was murdered and that he wanted to be better. Whatever the hell that means" AJ shook her head.

"he is serious? If I see him I swear-"

"Pope" She turned to him, slowing her pace. "He's still my little brother. I think he might be telling the truth, I- I don't know" The blonde girl sighed.

"He said he'd help us, maybe it's worth it- to just, go, see what he wants, what he has to help," AJ said and Pope scoffed.

"the last time you saw him he tried to kill you" Cleo tried to reason.

"I know, but it's not like I have to go alone. The two of you can come with me, if it makes you feel better" The trio slowed outside Kiara's. AJ took in the sight of the large house and they walked up the steps.

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Carrera" Pope knocked at the door.

"uh, I'm gonna get that" Kiara stood, crossing the room and rushing over to the door.

"Kiara come back" Her mother tried to call after her but it was no use, Kiara stepped outside of the house and let the screen door shut behind her.

"Guys, what's up? Now's not a good time. My parents are on a literal warpath about my future" Kiara let out and AJ looked past her into the house where Mike and Anna stood talking. Their eyes darting back to the pogues.

"This'll only take a second. Do you still have that picture you took at Singh's? The one of the painting?" Pope asked and Kiara pulled her phone from her pocket.

"Yeah, obviously" She scrolled on her phone and Pope took it from her hands. A quick thank you came out before he was walking away.

"That was rude" The brunette scoffed as she, Cleo and AJ followed after him.

"What are you even looking for?" Kiara asked, sitting at the table across from him. AJ sat to the left of Pope, the girl looking at the phone as he found the photo.

"Something Cleo found, actually" He voiced. "Here it is. It's a letter Denmark Tanny wrote to his daughter" He told her, showing her the letter.

"We found it last night. Family heirlooms and thingums" Cleo leaned forward on the table.

"We think we found a connection to the idol. Look, check this out. See the sign sun glyph here?" Pope pointed at the letter and then put Kiara's phone on the table, zoomed into the picture she took.

"It matches the one in the painting at Singh's house"

"Couldn't that just mean it's pretty common?" She questioned.