twenty eight, but you love me

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT
(
WE'RE POGUES MAN...)

)

 When AJ returned to the Chateau at the end of the night it had felt like a million days had passed since that morning. The girl's adrenaline had faded and she was now feeling the full extent of the day bearing down on her.

Her head pounded with each step she took, she made a mental reminder to find some Advil or Tylenol in the house when she got inside. As she rounded the corner of the house she could make out a figure.

"Hey, did you find him?" She couldn't see that it was him but she knew it was JJ.

"yeah, he's home now. He'll be okay" She got closer, seeing the boy sitting on the outdoor couch. He reached for the pillow and moved it to make space for her to sit. "I'm worried about him though" She voiced, leaning her head on JJ's shoulder as she sat.

"you? worried for Pope?" The smirk on JJ's face was enough for the girl to want to hit him. "how's your face feel?" He poked at the nearly fully formed bruise and she winced at the contact.

"Okay asshole" AJ pulled her face away, sending the boy a look.

"somethings different" JJ let out, his eyes scanning the girl's face. Her brows furrowed at his determination. "Oh my god, you and Pope. What happened?" JJ asked, trying to watch her face for his answer.

"JJ you are the weirdest person I've ever-"

"Kissed?" JJ prodded and she scoffed. "Oh my god! I'm right, you and Pope kissed" JJ started obnoxiously making 'kissing faces' at the girl and she shoved his shoulder to try to get him to stop.

"did you talk to him?" His reference to her conversation earlier made her realize the others heard her say that to Pope.

"No" she shook her head. "I told him we could talk about it another time and then he stopped me from leaving and kissed me" AJ spilled to the boy and he nudged her arm.

"got that boy wrapped around your finger"

"I don't know."

"Are you blind?" JJ scoffed.

"A lot happened tonight, I think it was just a buildup of all that. It, I don't think it was more than just getting caught up in the moment" AJ said, leaning her head back on the couch cushion.

"you my friend, my very good friend, are blind" He repeated the phrase from the other day and she rolled her eyes.

"You my friend, my very good friend, are stupid" She let out.

"You should tell him how you feel AJ" JJ told her, trying to meet the girl's eyes.

"You should tell her how you feel JJ" She repeated his words back and he scoffed again.