twenty five, my very good friend

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE
(YOU MY FRIEND...)

)

"When I went back to Tannyhill, Rafe was on the phone with Ward. And he just kept saying 'My thing, this is my thing' he had to be talking about the cross." Sarah paced back and forth as she talked to the pogues.

    "absolutely" Pope nodded in agreeance.

    "And it's coming into Wilmington tonight at eight o'clock. And it's being shipped by train to Raleigh from there, but this is our chance to get it back" Sarah continued.

    "You get any other information?" Pope questioned and Kiara leaned forward.

    "Uh, Sarah got the cargo number" AJ looked at the paper Kiara grabbed as the brunette girl spoke.

    "Okay well that's a start"

    "I mean they're definitely fencing that shit off as we speak. So we should probably get a move on" JJ leaned forward, Cleo and AJ nodding.

    "Sarah, AJ, either of you hear from John B?" Pope asked.

    "No, I mean, he's probably off somewhere with his dad. But the problem is they have the Twinkie" Sarah let out.

    "Our transportation" Pope tipped his head back. "I could ask Heyward for the truck" He suggested and JJ scoffed.

    "what? Yeah that's gonna go well"

    "I know, but we have no other options"

    "I mean, it's worth a shot. Right?" AJ looked to JJ and the boy shot her an unconvinced look.

    "We'll be back, hopefully, won't take long" Pope stood and Cleo followed after him. AJ bit back her reaction at watching the pair walk off together. The Heyward's were giving her a place to stay. That doesn't mean anything.

    "what's the backup plan?" AJ turned back to the group at JJ's question.

    "take the ferry and a hail Mary?" She shrugged, Sarah and JJ nodding.

    "hail mary?" Kiara sighed. "I really love that that's all we got"

    "I need a joint" JJ huffed, standing from his spot and walking towards the house. AJ stood and followed after, leaving Sarah and Kiara still outside.

    "wait for me" AJ got out, jogging a bit to catch up with the boy. "I feel like we haven't talked in ages"

    "yeah, listen about what happened in Barbados-"

    "JJ we don't need-, I get it. I don't care about that" AJ tried to assure the boy.

    "no, it wasn't fair to take that out on you"

    "J, if-" AJ took a breath, not sure what uttering her next words would admit. "If it were Pope, I would've done the exact same thing" JJ's eyes darted between hers and she sighed.