fourteen, she was so damn selfish

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER FOURTEEN
(
I'VE GOT YOU. I ALWAYS HAVE...)

)

 Logan Whitlock's face was burned into AJ's eyes. She felt her knees buckle before she fell, the girl staring into the eyes of her dead brother. She didn't know if she was being haunted or if she was just going completely crazy. She even had to wonder if she was still in that shipping container, having a heat-induced hallucination.

"Amelia" Her name was uttered again and she felt arms wrap around her body to break her fall. A grunt could be heard from next to her and she shot her glance over, struggling in her brother's arms as she watched Ward and John B start fighting again.

"It's okay, I've got you" Logan's attempt at soothing his older sister failed, the girl pushing herself free. She scrambled for the wrench and turned it on him, no matter how much it broke her heart to do so.

"you're dead" She breathed out staring at him with shock. Sarah was at AJ's side in an instant, placing her hand on the girl's arm. "you overdosed after mom died" AJ's eyes were clouded with tears.

"I didn't, Ward. He, he saved me" AJ's mind couldn't process the information.

"What?"

"After Mom died, he told me everything. How it happened, the accident. He didn't mean it to happen"

"What?" The words were racing through her mind and all she could say was what.

"he didn't mean to hurt Mom, he wanted to help her but she was so damn selfish" Logan's eyes darkened as he spoke and AJ stared frightened.

"How can you say that?"

"my dad killed your mom?" Sarah looked at AJ with sorrow in her eyes, the tears welling. AJ hadn't even processed it, the words didn't reach her mind. She held up the wrench, threatening her brother with the action. Stopping him from moving forward.

The stillness to the girl's left made them both look over, Ward laying on the deck of the boat. His head against the edge. As Ward moved his hand from his head blood stained his fingertips.

"Is this how you did it, huh? is this how you killed my father? you just threw him into the ocean. I never got to say goodbye because of you this is all your fault." John B screamed in Ward's face and AJ paled. Everything finally meeting her mind. She felt herself get weak again but Sarah held onto her.

AJ didn't notice Logan's movement, the girl focused on her mother's murderer. Big John's murderer. John B picked Ward up by his shirt and looked behind at Sarah and AJ. Sarah nodded, giving him permission with tears streaming down her face.

AJ found the strength the wrap her arm around Sarah, both girls' faces streaked with tears. Sarah moved her head, not wanting to watch as John B did what he needed to but AJ couldn't pull her eyes away. She watched as the boy rested Ward back down, giving up on his revenge.