twenty four, no shit sherlock

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
(NOT SELLING, REFUNDING...)

)

"I gotta admit, it's good to be back" Big John breathed out as they docked the boat at the Chateau. AJ helped John B tie off the boat. As Big John got closer to the house he laughed.

"Would you look at this place" He practically cheered, a wide smile on the man's face.

AJ stood once they were done and looked over to John B. The boy looking lost in thought. She stood next to the boy, watching as his father celebrated his return home.

AJ leaned her head on John B's shoulder, the pair standing in silence until a tolling bell sounded. The same thing that brought them to finding Big John in the first place.

"you ready to be back, cousin?" John B asked, nudging the girl's side playfully.

"oh yes I am cousin" She laughed, linking her arm with his as they started to walk towards the house.

"bring it on in kids. Bring it on home" Big John called for them and they shared a look. "I sure have missed this place" He let out as the teenagers appeared in his line of sight.

"Yeah me too"

"Hey, me three" AJ scoffed, following behind John B to the tree the pogues engraved when they thought he was dead. "Check it out. Got my own headstone" John B told his dad.

"You ever get me one of those?" Big John asked.

"Never." John B said. "welcome home pop"

"Thanks, kid"

"Stand out here and get bit by mosquitos this whole damn time, or you wanna go inside?" AJ nodded immediately, agreeing with the boy.

"I missed the mosquitos believe it or not" John B and his dad shared a hug, AJ still standing off by the tree as she did. She met John B's eyes as he slowed and opened his arms slightly. A smile broke out on the girl's face and she raced to catch up.

Her mind couldn't help but wander to her little brother. The missing person in all of this. She hadn't seen him since the boat. Since he tried to hurt her friends. Since she found out Ward Cameron murdered her mother.

She breathed out as she hugged her uncle and cousin. A comfort rested in her as she let herself feel the loving hug from family. Knowing she was gonna be okay because she wasn't totally alone anymore. From knowing she was a Routledge and having the pogues, the girl felt she'd never be alone another day in her life.

"you know, I just realized. I don't have to worry about dcfs anymore" AJ spoke up as she settled on one of the outdoor chairs. John B laying on the couch and Big John taking the fold out inside.

The sky was dark now and the still air felt moggy against AJ's skin. The girl remembered the craving for the shower they all had on the island. Lack of power and surely water at the Chateau felt like a punishment.