nine, the tortoise and the tortoise

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER NINE
(
THIS IS YOU TOTALLY CHILL, I GET IT...)

)

 AJ sat behind JJ, her eyes steadied out the window, watching as trees passed. Her mind was completely occupied. Well, not completely. Her attention was drawn to Pope when he started talking, though the girl pretended she wasn't focused on it.

She shut her eyes, the rough dirt road making the van shake as it drove across. The biggest effect of that which could be felt was by AJ, the girl leaning her head against the window and trying not to think about how much it was starting to hurt her head.

"oh shit. Tide's coming in" The van slowed and this time, AJ looked to the voice the words came from. John B cursed once more as JJ leaned out of the window to get a look at the path.

AJ pushed herself forward, finding the path in front of them covered by water.

"Hey, wait a second. Look. They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go." AJ didn't turn to look at Pope as he spoke, the entire day feeling unsettling to her.

"Mmm, what do you think, chief?"

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." JJ and John B went back and forth.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement. "

"Okay, clearly, they made it. No?" Kiara interrupted the two, leaning forward, side by side with AJ.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ pointed out, looking towards the brunette girl.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways? Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?" JJ shrugged at Sarah's question and looked to John B who copied his actions.

"She's got a point." John B looked forward and JJ moved, positioning himself so he could give some advice to the driver.

"Okay, Speed is your friend here, okay? So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother." John B nodded and Kiara held onto the seat in front of AJ, the blonde girl taking the hint and doing the same/

"Stick to the ground in the middle," Pope tells John B and he nods.

"All right, ready? Here we go."

"Come on. Punch it. Speed is your friend. Speed is your friend. You're not going fast enough." JJ let out.

"I'm in second." John B said.

"It's gonna slide," Kiara warned

"You're fishtailing already." JJ pointed out

"I know." John B yelled back.

"Not to put any more pressure on you, but if you don't make it through, we'll be stuck here forever." Pope moved forward, the boy inches from AJ. The proximity made the girl suck in a breath. John B swatted between the seats, both Pope and AJ moving back and out of the way. "Put your head back, okay?"