seventeen, fly the fucking plane

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
(HOW THE HELL DID THIS DUDE FIND US...)

)

The sound of the plane was what stirred Pope Heyward awake. He let his eyes adjust to the light as he stood, unaware at first what woke him up. When he stretched his back, the sound finally met his ears. He instantly moved over to where the blonde girl was sleeping and shook her shoulders.

"AJ! Wake up" He grabs his shoes from the sand before the lighter, shaking the girl one more time. "guys, guys! There's a plane" He let out, running down the beach toward where they set up the smoke signal.

AJ was quick to get up so much so she didn't even think about her shoes, the girl just simply ran after Pope. She barely noticed the pain in her feet until she stopped at the top of the hill.

Pope was flicking the lighter with frustration, trying to get it to light. AJ rushed over, sinking to her knees next to him, trying to cover his hand to allow the lighter to spark.

"I got it, I got it" The words spilled from AJ's mouth as she grabbed the lighter from Pope's hands. Giving it a try herself. Cleo, who followed the pair up took the open spot next to her and covered the lighter with her hands.

When it finally held the flame AJ brought it to the dry shrubs they had by the wood, lighting it on fire. "It's lit, it's lit come on" Pope was fast to stand and wave his hands in the hair.

"Hey! We're down here." AJ and Cleo joined, standing and shouting at the small plane flying overhead. "Come on, please please" Pope was practically begging at that point.

"hey!" Cleo shouted, adding to AJ's long slew of shouts.

"We're down here! Look down, you idiot!"

"no!" Cleo let out as the plane passed over.

"fucking shit" AJ let out, her bare feet kicking against the rocks on the ground.

"please" Pope's defeated tone made AJ squeeze her eyes shut. That might have been their only chance. And while she could easily live in the comfort of her own island, she couldn't watch Pope pray for a way out and not also want it for him.

Instinctively AJ leaned over, her body acting without her mind and standing closer to Pope. She couldn't watch the plane pass over them so she looked down at her bare feet, finally noticing the lack of footwear.

"he's turning around" Pope breathed out and AJ's eyes shot up. "They see us!" AJ looked to Pope, the happiness in his eyes enough for her to forget ever wanting to stay on the island.

"yes!" Cleo jumped and cheered. "we did it!"

"We fucking did it!" AJ let out, the girl leaping into Pope's arms as they celebrated. His arms caught her immediately, holding the girl close.