five, the graveyard of the atlantic

SWEET NICOTINE | CHAPTER FIVE
(
BITE THE HEAD OFF FIRST...)

)

 The air was thick with unspoken tension and emotions. Sarah, obviously with her family grieving and the pogues all somber and weird. AJ strolled the aisle of the small corner store JJ wanted to stop at to get some more beer.

She couldn't help but stop in the candy aisle, sour patch kids catching her eyes. They were her mother's favourite, which might have been why the girl's hand gravitated toward them. She didn't stop herself from grabbing a few bags and heading to the cash.

She emptied some change from her pocket, just enough to cover the stupid candy and she stepped off to the side after paying. Waiting for the blonde boy who was still roaming the store.

John B and the others were at the Chateau by now and AJ was leaning against the wall bored. JJ took his sweet ass time to get what he wanted.

"Are you ready to go yet?" She let out annoyed when she decided to go find the boy.

"what's the rush? Or are you just super into the vibe back there?" JJ didn't seem to be thinking before he spoke and AJ was fast to come to the conclusion he never did.

"the vibe? yeah no" AJ leaned down to grab a case from the floor where JJ put it.

"oh, you're not into dead people?" AJ was quick to send him a disgusted look and shake her head. "unfortunate" She didn't have time to question why he was saying that before he finally got everything he came for.

JJ fished out the cash for the beer and after an annoyingly long time of the cashier trying to not sell them the beer, AJ and JJ were walking out of the corner shop, arms filled with beer cases.

AJ chose not to complain about having to carry back the beer to the chateau and instead decided silence was not the worst thing in the world. The sky was dark now, a cool breeze blowing through the island and calming AJ.

"why'd you come?" JJ asked and AJ raised a brow, hiding how taken aback she was by the question. "was it just because of your mom?"

"I mean, I had nothing in St Port Lucie apart from my mom and a few kids I smoked weed with." Once again, AJ failed to mention the little brother she would've done anything for. But why mention dead people?

"I guess it just made the most sense. A better part of her life revolved around whatever was in her office and so, like she asked me to, I'm finishing it for her" AJ didn't want to talk about it anymore so she picked her pace up a bit. She wasn't on the island to make friends and get comfortable. She was there to do what her mom couldn't do now.

And none of that came with giving her entire life story to some strangers who just happened to be somehow connected to it all.

AJ made it to the Chateau first and headed inside, not caring much to find out what the others were talking about outside. She dumped the case of beer she was holding by the door and made her way to the table.