Chapter 1 - Burn in my Throat

I sat at the bar, drinking the vodka and soda I had resting in front of me. It was cold in London, in January, but the alcohol had always warmed me up. The burn in my throat had the ability to help.

I had just arrived from Lyon that morning. It hadn't been announced yet that I had transferred to Arsenal as I still had to go through a medical and fitness check, but it was all going to happen, and within the next few days.

"What brought you to London?" the bartender asked me, after she heard my Australian accent.

"Football," I replied.

"Cool," she answered. "Is that a hobby or?" She was serious in her question, and even though I tried hard not to smirk, I was not successful.

"No, not a hobby. I'm professional. Play for Australia and all that," I responded.

"Sorry," she then said, "I don't know much about sports."

"That's okay," I answered, laughing. The bartender soon moved away, and I continued to drink away, trying to swallow the nerves that I felt building inside of me.

I knew that as soon as the medical and fitness testing was done tomorrow, things would brighten up. I would have Steph and Caitlin in the know, and I would be able to start with my new team, in a new environment.

My eyes were focused on the drink in front of me when I soon felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see a tall, blonde, sharp jawed woman, standing beside me.

"You're Tippah, right?" the woman asked. I knew who it was. How could I not?

"Leah," I then said. "Williamson, right?"

"That's me," she responded. She sat down beside me, before calling the bartender over to order her own drink. I looked at her, mesmerised by her demeanour, and confidence.

"I would ask what you're doing here, in North London that is, but I feel I already know," Leah soon said, sipping on her own alcoholic beverage.

"Take a wild guess," I laughed.

"I saw a fitness was booked for tomorrow..."

"That's me," I confirmed.

"Well, that's exciting. We need a solid 10, especially with Kim injured."

"I have been told about that," I replied, solemnly.

"Yeah, it hasn't been good."

"But you, Miss Leah Williamson, have been wearing that captain's armband, if I am not mistaken."

"I- yes." Leah looked down at her drink, chuckling softly, before taking a swing.

"And, has Arsenal not been winning quite regularly so far this season?" I asked once more, cheekily.

"I- yes," Leah said once again.

"Well, you seem to be making quite a fine captain to me." I smiled at her, before looking back down at my drink. I was getting confused. Not only had I drunk too many drinks already this evening, but I was also sleep deprived, having not slept a wink in what felt like days.

"Where are you staying?" Leah asked.

"Near Colney, but that's just temporary. I want to move a bit closer in."

"Yeah, most of us live a little further south," Leah confirmed.

We both grabbed another drink, and I felt my head loosening up a little more each time. We clinked our glasses, before flinging it down our throats.

"Do you not have training tomorrow?" I asked her, laughing, as we both were becoming seemingly more wasted.

"Do you not have a fitness test tomorrow?" she retorted.