Chapter 15 - Pure Luck

I had always been good at lying, I have come to realise. I could always think quickly on my feet, and warp my sense of reality and others too. It was easy. It was simple. For me, if I needed to cover something up, or tell someone something they wanted to hear, I could do it. I am always able to do it.

I knew that it was a bad thing to be good at. I knew that being a pathological liar was not something someone should be proud of, but I didn't really care. If I had been drinking, and Ellie found me, I would just tell her I was tired. Or if I had got a red card at my football game, and Dad asked me how it went, I would tell him I scored. I never wanted to disappoint people, so I would just lie instead.

So, I have been lying, for a while now. I have been lying to Mum, Finn, Grandma, and even myself, and this lie, that I had been repeating, was one I wasn't proud of. But, in my defence, it wasn't about me. It never was. It was about her. It was about Eden.

I had seen Eden in the past 12 years. After she moved away to boarding school, I had seen her, but it wasn't what they would think. It wasn't purposeful. It was out of chance. It was out of luck. Pure, and utter luck. The first time at least.

Five Months Earlier

I was in the hospital, after my recent episode. Cat had just left me, as she had a game later that evening against Wolfsburg, the final game of the group stage in the Champions League. I was scrolling my phone, knowing that in a few hours they would release me. In a few hours I would be out of the hospital and back to the apartment. I would try to talk to Ellie, tell her that I was sorry. Tell her that I didn't mean to do what I did. It was all a mistake. It was all an accident.

I was supposed to go home, but I didn't want to. I knew I had to make it right, between Ellie and me. I didn't want to get back together with her, I knew this was not in the best interest of her or me, but I didn't want everything to fall through. I wanted to stay here. I wanted to be happy at Lyon, with Ellie, as a friend. Only a friend.

I lay in the bed, a few hours later, fluids being injected into my body. It felt nice to be hydrated once again. To feel the fluids racing and mind regenerating. I didn't watch the Wolfsburg game, and only followed the scoreline. We won: 2-1. I saw a headline reading there was an injury at the game, but I didn't see who it was, or what would happen to the player.

As I had my earbuds in, listening to the music that rang in my ears, I saw something. Someone walked past. Her shaggy brown hair was too similar. Her lean, but short body reminded me of someone I once remembered. It couldn't be, right? The woman was wearing a Wolfsburg kit, but... it couldn't be. Right?

I jumped out of the bed, grabbing the drip that was thankfully on wheels next to me. I was still in my Lyon kit from the previous night, having not changed yet even though I was supposed to. I wanted to pull the needles out of my arm, but I didn't have time. I had to run.

I followed the woman for a few moments, trying to work out who it could be. It wasn't her. It couldn't be her. I was hallucinating. These fluids were making me go insane. Maybe I was still drunk.

The woman went into the hospital room, and I was soon stopped by a nurse.

"Etes-vous d'accord, Tippah?" the nurse asked me.

"Oui, oui," I replied, pushing past her, and opening the door. The woman was sitting beside the girl in the bed. I recognised the girl in the bed straight away: it was Jill Roord. She was an easy face to remember. Her blonde hair, and seemingly Dutch characteristics were so poignant, and distinct.

"Hallo?" Jill said, as she saw me. "You alright, Tippah? I thought you were sick. That's why-" I didn't listen to the rest of what the Dutch player was saying. Instead, the woman sitting beside her turned around, and, when I saw her face, I knew it was her. I knew exactly who it was. There was no doubt. There was no question. I knew. I definitely knew. She smiled at me, and I sighed, my heart finally relaxing. She was alive, and that was the greatest relief of them all.