Chapter 53 - I Can't See You

I woke up the next morning with messages from Leah.

Leah: SO PROUD OF U!

Leah: U PLAYED AS THE 9 TOO!!!

Leah: I cannot believe it... ur amazing

Leah: I love u xx

I smiled as I saw the notes from her, half way across the world. I wanted nothing more than for her to be here with me, but I knew it wasn't possible, at least not yet.

Tipp: I miss u :(

She would most likely be asleep, so I didn't count on a reply, but sure enough, no more than a moment later, my phone buzzed.

Leah: I miss u too

Tipp: u sure you cant come out?

Leah: its the rehab. Jonas would kill me. Sarina would kill me.

Tipp: i know... :(((((

Leah: you'll see me soon

Tipp: (but not too soon cause the matildas will win)

Leah: hmm okay okay ill let u  think that

Tipp: HEY!!

Leah: im just kidding... sorta

I laughed at the messages, before Hayley came running into my room, still in her pajamas, except her game day ribbon was firmly stuck in her hair.

"Tipp, did I- did I just dream that, or was it real?" she exclaimed, falling onto my bed.

"Hales, it was very, very real," I laughed back, before kissing her cheek with excitement.

"I don't think I'm going to be able to think of anything else," Hayley joked, as she lay on my bed, looking up at the ceiling.

"Well, we definitely haven't done the job just yet," I replied.

"No, we haven't, but we've made a start."

"That we have."

We traveled up to Brisbane, back to base camp. We had settled into a rhythm of things: training, recovery, and relaxation. We had a game plan; there was method in the madness.

Macca came around with her mini mic, with our social media manager behind her.

"Testing testing," Macca said, pointing the mini mic towards both Caitlin and myself, who were sitting by the ice pool, for a recovery session.

"What is this?" I laughed.

"Just some questions!" Macca retorted. "Mackenzie Arnold here. So, Caitlin Foord, how are you feeling going into the Nigeria game?" I started to move away, but Caitlin held onto me.

"Not sure. Tipps, how do you feel?" Caitlin replied.

"Really good. Really prepared. Ready to go out there and get the three points."

"Same," Caitlin chimed in. "How are you feeling, Mackenzie Arnold, Goalkeeper?"

"This isn't about me," Macca joked. "So, Tippah. Now that you're a striker, how many goals are you going to score?" I laughed, before looking away.

"She's going to bang in a goal a game from here on," Caitlin answered for me.

"Hardly," I interrupted. "Hopefully a few but you know, whatever helps the team."

"Well, goals normally help the team," Macca joked. "And when you do score, what's the celebration?"

"I don't have a celebration," I laughed.

"Normally you just run and jump," Caitlin answered.

"Yep, I'll do that."

That evening, I walked along the beaches of Brisbane, the sunset lightening the horizon to a beautiful purple. It felt like home, but not in the way people normally think. Australia felt like home because of nostalgia, and growing up here. But besides that, I felt no eternal love for the country. I felt no tie and no connection. I hoped that by slowly starting to reconcile things with my family, that would change. But it hasn't.

Instead, I just want to leave more than ever.

My phone soon buzzed, and the number was unknown.

"Hello, this is Tippah Jones," I said into the phone.

"Hello, Tippah. This is Agnes Wheeler, from Locke and Wheeler Lawyers. We will need you to come to Sydney to testify at the trial come August 5th."

"Oh."

"I am sorry to disrupt your current duties but this is important for your family."

"I- August 5th?" I confirmed.

"Yes, August 5th."

"I'll try. Who am I testifying for?" I asked.

"Your brother."

"But, I just tell the truth, is that correct?" I asked.

"Yes. Only the truth. It won't help him if you lie." At that moment, all I could think about was what if I didn't want to help him.

As I walked along the coast, I saw Sam grabbing a coffee from the shop across the beach.

"A little late for a coffee, no?" I laughed, jump scaring her.

"Never too late," she laughed. We walked back together, alongside the water feeling the sadness beneath our feet.

"Do you think you'll be ready for Canada?" I asked her, wanting to hear it from her.

"I hope so," she answered. "But I also hope I won't be needed. I think that would be better to make sure I'm fully fit for knockouts."

"If we get to knockouts," I said, under my breath.

"Don't speak like that," she replied.

"Sorry, I'm- I just got told I'll be needed in Sydney... for the trial."

"Shit, I'm sorry."

"I knew it was going to happen. Just didn't know it would be in the middle of the World Cup."

"Surely you can get that moved?" Sam asked.

"I don't know," I answered. "It's for my brother, surely i have to help and do everything possible, right?"

"That depends," Sam soon said.

"Depends on what?"

"Whether he deserves your help."

The day before we were set to verse Nigeria in Brisbane, we were out on the pitch. We were playing an 8 v 8, and it all seemed to be flowing. I was switching from playing as the 9 to the 10, and the connections were building between myself and my fellow teammates.

But, I soon fell. I think I collided with someone.

I don't remember much else.

I remember grabbing my head.

I remember hitting the ground.

I remember feeling the pounding.

Then I blacked out.

note:

- SORRY SHORT CHAPTER but its only cause I had to come on here and exclaim! omg... USA r out

- that was crazy, and surreal and so- I can't believe it... IT DOESN'T FEEL REAL

- (I'm sorry if ur american but as an aussie I can never support the usa; its just in our blood to go for the underdogs which u never r)

- I'm just happy kristie scored her penalty and so did magda... yayaya

- also side note, I saw jill score live hehehehehhee