Chapter 12 - Real Smooth

I stared at the message that my brother had sent, but before I could wonder too much about it all, I was distracted.

"Tipp?" a voice called out.

"I'll just be a sec," I replied. As I got out of the stall, it was Leah.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, I just- Finn sent me the weirdest message and-" I was soon cut off. The girls all walked into the bathroom, seemingly depressed after the game we had just played.

"I want to sleep," Caitlin said, leaning against Lia. Lia was holding her tight, resting her own head upon her girlfriends. I watched them be so comfortable with each other. So content with the other person. I stared at Leah as I thought of them; I am content too. I am happy too. I grabbed Leah's hand as a response, and she smiled, but through gritted teeth, not happy with the performance we had just had.

We left Wolfsburg the next day, to return to London. We had the international break next, and I was supposed to go back to Australia except I still had not talked to Tony. I knew I had to; so I gave him a ring.

"Hey Tony, it's me. Tippah." I held the phone close to my ear as I spoke, walking around my apartment with Leah sitting on the couch.

"Yes Tippah, thank you for returning my phone call."

"No worries," I responded.

"Well, you know why I am calling. We have the two games against New Zealand coming up and, well, our midfield needs you." I wanted to go back to the team. I wanted to be with the girls. But, I was still scared. Scared of so many things that were currently haunting me.

"Tony, I-" but as I started to speak, I looked over to Leah.

Don't be afraid, Leah mouthed to me.

"Yeah, alright. I'll be there."

"Great, we can finally release the roster then," Tony laughed slightly. "The fans were going wild that we still hadn't put it out yet."

"I can imagine their frustration," I joked back.

"So, we'll get you on the same flight as Caitlin, Steph, and Sam, yeah?"

"Sounds great."

"Awesome. I'll see you soon then, Tippah."

"Yep, see you soon," I replied.

"I'm proud of you," Leah said, as I got off the phone and went to sit beside her.

"Literally no reason to be proud," I responded, burying my head into her shoulder.

"There is always a reason to be proud," she responded, her English accent hitting a spot I never knew it could.

While I went back to New Zealand to compete in these friendlies, Leah had to continue her European qualifiers.

I was messaging Leah on the plane, as I flew over the Indian Ocean. I was sitting across the aisle from Caitlin, and behind us were Steph, Sam and Macca. A bonus of having to fly halfway across the world was always the free champagne we got in business class; I could never say no.

Leah: I think it's going to happen.

Tipp: what is?

Leah: I think she's going to make me permanent captain.

Tipp: Holy shit.

Leah: yeah...

Tipp: how do you feel?

Leah: I have no fucking clue.

Tipp: That's incredible though. You know that right? You are incredible