Chapter 31 - Lies Hurt

We came up against South Africa first, winning 4-1. Then, we traveled over to Denmark, to play the Danish girls. Although we had a rocky start, we came away with a 3-1 win, with Caitlin and Mini scoring wonder goals, that I couldn't believe even happened.

We soon returned to Arsenal, and the group announcement would be taking place. It was time to find out.

"I'm kind of scared," I said to Leah, as we watched it on my phone at training. It was lunch break, and I knew that I couldn't wait. I had to know.

"Why?" she asked.

"What if we get hard teams," I said, innocently.

"We're going to get at least one hard team. I'm just hoping not Barcelona." Arsenal had to verse Barcelona the previous year in the group and conceded four goals in both.

"Not Barcelona," I said, praying to the non-existent god that I don't believe in, "and no Lyon. thanks in advance." Leah chuckled softly, kissing the top of my head before walking off. "You not staying?"

"I'm just getting good," she responded. I had a few of the other girls come around me, wanting to watch while they ate their meals.

"UEFA Women's Champions League Group A, first team: Chelsea."

Chelsea was the top seed in Group A, Wolfsburg in Group B, Lyon in Group C, and Barcelona in Group D.

"Alright, well, we can't be drawn into Group A," I said, just confirming with the girls behind me.

"Yes," Caitlin responded. "So, we'll either be B, C, or D."

"And we don't want D?" I asked.

"Definitely not," Jordan laughed.

"Alright, so we then want B or C," I confirmed.

"Yep, and probably C more than B because we did lose to Wolfsburg last time," Leah said, trailing off, remembering the disappointing quarter-finals that I was at Arsenal for.

They soon announced the next round of teams.

PSG - Group A.

Roma - Group B.

Arsenal - Group C...

Lyon.

"FUCK!" I said, quite loudly but not loudly enough to be considered shouting.

"It's not that bad. Better than Barca," Caitlin said, tapping my back. I looked at her, trying to get her to understand through eye contact, but sometimes Caitlin was just clueless like that.

"Cait, think about it," I said, looking at her with a plea. After a few moments, she understood.

"Oh."

"Yeah. Oh."

I knew I had to distract myself, so I went out to the grass before we were to officially start training for that day. I practiced some corners. Leah sat on the grass near me, and if it wasn't for her injury, I would've made her come be my target in the box.

"You sure you don't want to try to head anything in?" I asked, slightly joking but also kind of seriously.

"I would get seriously scolded," she laughed.

The girls all soon came out, and we started preparing for what would be our mid-week game against Lyon...in Lyon. Fuck.

Although, first we had our league game against Reading. We traveled out West the morning of, and on the bus, I sat next to Leah. i hadn't slept well the night earlier, and I fell asleep on her shoulder as she talked to Lia and Caitlin who sat across from us.