Chapter 8 - Bringing Her Down

It was soon coming up to the February international break, and to my surprise, the Matildas had no friendlies planned. I should've expected it, as the Asian Cup only just happened. They wanted to give the girls a break, and I could understand that. I was kind of glad about it, as it meant I wouldn't have to deal with her quite yet. I wouldn't have to deal with the questions from Ellie.

But it did mean I wouldn't get to go home, when I thought I might've. I thought I might be going back; which was something I did want to do. I wanted to see Mum. I wanted to see Finn.

But, alas, I could not.

"What's your plan?" Leah asked me, as we walked together out of training. We had finished up, with the girls all heading off to their respective national teams. Caitlin, Steph and I were one of few to not be leaving.

"Just stay here, train a bit I guess," I replied.

"Come up to the games," Leah asked. "Please?"

"Yeah, of course," I answered. "Just tell me what trains to get on and I'll be there." She chuckled slightly, before nodding her head. We both knew how confusing I found the English trains to be.

Leah left that night to head into camp, and I felt, for the first time, somewhat alone. Alone with my thoughts. Alone with my intrusive ideas. I needed a drink.

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache, but a sense of relief. Relief that I could help myself, even if it was with a drink.

I made my way up to Middlesbrough for the first game of the Arnold Clark Cup. England were to verse Canada, the Olympic Champions. Being at the Olympics, in Tokyo, was crazy. The whole covid scene made this Olympics completely different to my last. Tokyo was hard; we were so close to winning. So close to getting a medal. But we didn't. We lost. Ellie was mad at herself throughout that entire bronze medal match. She hated not being able to play. She hated that she had accumulated cards. I tried consoling her, but it's hard. Hard when you feel as if you should've done more.

Leah was captaining the side. She had retained the captaincy for a while now, and I would be surprised if she wasn't made the permanent captain before the Euros. Whenever she plays, it's as if she controls. She has a calming presence which helps everyone that she leads. Everyone in her team.

I got to the ground, just in time for the kick off. I missed the train that Leah had sent me to get on, and I had to work my way through the English train system, which is never a good idea for me.

I was sitting in the friends and family section, and as I was about to make my way to the back, trying to sit discretely, I was called by a woman with red hair.

"Hey!" she called out. I looked down, and recognised who it was immediately - Leah's mum, Amanda. "Come!" She was calling me over, and I looked around, just wanting to make sure that it was me she calling for. Sure enough, no one else was around, and so I headed down, closer to the front than I at first wanted.

"Hi," I said, softly.

"Why hide at the back when the best view is here?" Amanda laughed.

"You know who I am?" I questioned, as the teams shook hands on the field.

"Of course I do. Leah, she- she's quite...smitten, might I say." I laughed softly, looking down. "And has been talking non-stop about the cute auburn haired girl on her team." At this point, I was trying not to blush. "And besides," Amanda continued, "I wouldn't waste a good chance to meet a phenomenal player."

"Your daughter is the phenomenal one in this equation," I replied.

"That she is, but you are too." I smiled at Amanda, and soon focused on the game that was in front of us.