Chapter 47 - Summertime Sadness

Leah and I never continued the conversation. She got injured. I got scared. She had to go to the hospital. I resorted back to the alcohol that I hid underneath my bed.

It was what I needed. The person I loved was hurt, and I could do nothing about it.

I didn't speak to her for a few days. Caitlin and Lia broke up in that process and as Lia went to console Leah, stay in her apartment as she dealt with the newfound injury, and help her through the hell she was going to endure, I moved in with Caitlin to help with her own version of hell. The hell Caitlin never thought she was going to experience.

"It doesn't feel real," Caitlin said, her head in my lap as we watched some telly together.

"It never does," I replied.

"I honestly thought..." Caitlin started to say but she cut herself off.

"Thought what?" I asked.

"Don't worry, it's stupid."

"No, speak Caity!"

"I- I thought we would be together forever. I'm such an idiot." She covered her face with her hands, and I felt her cheeks go red.

"Cait, that's not stupid. I thought the same. When you are in love, you always do."

"Anyways, Katie and I are planning a trip to Spain with Jordan before the World Cup. Want to come?" She sat up, looking at me with a plea in her eyes. "It'll be fun!"

"I don't know..." I said, looking down.

"Look, you can either go home and deal with, no offense, your shit show of a family or you can come to Ibitha and have a great time with your real family." I laughed very hard, loving her honesty and thanking her for it also.

"Cait, I love you, and you have convinced me. I'll be there."

"Great. I'll let Katie know. She's planning it."

During that time we had our first semi-final match against Wolfsburg. Despite being down 2-0, we came from behind to draw the game, ensuring we were not too far behind come the second leg at The Emirates.

Leah didn't travel to Germany (obviously) and so I stuck with Caitlin (who was leaning on me just as much as I was leaning on her). I saw Eden only twice, due to the tight turnaround. I caught up with her for a quick coffee the morning we were to leave. I squeezed her in just before the flight, and I also saw her while we struggled through the hard game. She was on the bench, beside the coaches, watching on, the medic's bag beside her ready just in case.

Rumors started to emerge of the possibility that Jill was leaving the club. I always wondered what that meant for Eden. Would she stay at the club that gave her life or would she leave with the player that gave her love?

I wasn't sure, but I certainly wasn't going to ask. At least, not yet.

The next week consisted of training, preparing for our semi-final match, and grieving. Grieving a world cup loss with Leah. It was confirmed; an ACL injury was her downfall. She was out for the rest of the season; the World Cup.

I cried. In private (obviously). My heart broke for her, just as much as it burned.

It was nothing I wanted. I wanted to see her in Australia. I wanted her to feel at home in the country I called my own. But it wasn't to be. The world is cruel. Horribly cruel. The summer would not be one she will want to remember.

But we all had the Emirates game to look forward to. The final leg of the semi-final against Wolfsburg. This time we were on our own turf, with our gooners supporting us. It was to be a sold-out crowd: 60,000 fans.

As we prepared for the game, Leah and I hardly spoke. She was dealing with her crap and I didn't want to be a bother. I knew when she was ready, she would come. When she was content with what had happened, not just with her knee but between us as well, she would come. She would meet me halfway. It would be her and me; I knew it.