Chapter 55 - Truths

"You're here?" I said, softly, as Leah Williamson stood at my door.

"I'm here," she laughed. "And you better let me in before someone sees me. I had to get Caitlin to sneak me in here." I chuckled before pulling her inside my room, and wrapping my arms around her neck. I kissed it softly, as she lifted me off the ground. I felt my entire body warm to her touch; I had missed her more than I realised.

"I can't believe you are real," I said, a few moments later. My head lay on her chest as she twirled my hair. Hearing her breath pulled me back to reality. The steadiness of her chest calmed my own beating heart.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, concerned. "Did the concussion do something weird?" She was joking around but I knew she was worried. Something had changed but not between us. Something had changed in me.

"Everything just is turning to shit," I said, interlocking her hand with mine.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"I know, but I'm still sorry." I looked up at her, leaning in for a kiss. Her lips were soft, and igniting. Everything felt like it crashed together and lit me up all at once. She could make me feel better; she was special.

She stayed in my room that night, and even though that was definitely not allowed, I didn't care. At this point, rules were made to be broken and I made an executive decision.

I slept the best I had all tournament. I had my safety net right beside me, and I knew that if I fell, she would be there to catch me.

I woke up the next morning to Hayley tapping on our interconnecting door.

"Tipps?" she called out.

"Hales, you okay?" I called out, still in bed.

"Yeah. are you?"

"I'm in bed!"

"Okay! Sorry!"

Leah turned to me chuckling, and I leaned into her more.

"You should probably leave before anyone sees you."

"I feel like we're teenagers sneaking around," Leah joked.

"Go on," I laughed. "I'll meet you after training."

We had training that day, and I met up with Leah along the beaches of Brisbane. I held her hand as the sunsetted over the lands and the sea glistened from the moon.

"This country is so god damn beautiful," Leah said, as my arm was around her waist. We were sitting on the ledge, our feet dangling in the sand.

"It's pretty sure," I replied.

"You're taking it for granted," Leah joked.

"Probably."

"Do you not think it's beautiful?"

"I do, but I don't know how much beauty I see in it anymore."

"How so?"

"It just reminds me of pain rather than love."

"Do you want to change that?"

"It won't be changeable," I answered.

"Everything can be altered, as long as you try."

"Not this."

Leah stopped talking, knowing that once I got into my stubborn mood it was hard to convince me of anything else. She just sat with me instead, letting me rest my head on her shoulder. That was all I needed. Her and nothing else.

The next day, the team and I flew down to Brisbane. Photos emerged of Leah and I at the beach, as we had been papped without realising.

BREAKING NEWS: INJURED ENGLAND CAPTAIN IN AUSTRALIA, SEEMINGLY CONSOLING MATILDAS GIRLFRIEND.

Leah Williamson, England captain, was spotted in Brisbane yesterday, alongside Australian midfielder, Tippah Jones. Williamson, who ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament in April, was not selected as part of Sarina Wiegman's 23 player squad as a result.