46

Humans gave away their temperance for knowledge. Demons gave away their empathy for domination. Angels gave away their humility for power.

The man with sun gold hair and blood-red eyes swirled the glass of red wine in his hands as he glanced at the uninvited guest.

Alexander smirked sarcastically, "What intrigued you to visit me, father?"

Fate frowned as he answered, "It's about Freya. I promised I won't interfere this time but to think you did something this time round. It took me by surprise. I thought you would support her as you did in the past few times using Dylan's identity."

"She doesn't know what is best for her. What is there in it for a higher being to get emotionally involved with their subjects," Alexander scoffed yet his eyes softened.

"...you know your actions are going to make her do something even more outrageous. The visions I'm seeing these days aren't beneficial for us," Fate showed eyes of disapproval.

"She has already turned back time and destroyed her own realm. She can't get any crazier."

Fate sighed before disappearing, "Don't be overconfident. She's unstable."

Alexander looked at the red liquid in front of him and downed it in one go, "I know. I don't want to get a broken doll in return. All I want is for her to be free from shackles caused by emotions."

A long time ago, in the dimension of nothingness, they were always there for each other. They were like twins, incomplete without each other and he always thought that they could be more.

But soon their physical body manifested. They were separated. One in the heavenly realm and one in the demon realm. Their memories together started to fade as time passed. He remembered, but she turned away.

Alexander chuckled emptily as he recalled their past, "...how cruel."

The thunder crackled as if echoing out the man's sorrow. That very thunder woke the slumbering girl. Her eyes shined as bright as sapphire in the dark room opened in alert, darting around to observe her surroundings.

It's been a week since the meeting. Freya's old habit came back. She became a light sleeper again. Her heart has not been at peace ever since the passing of her uncle.

It was the middle of the night, but her heart was beating like it wanted to jump out of her chest. She started having difficulty breathing as she saw the corpses of those she love flashing before her. Great, her panic attacks were back.

Freya closed her eyes, reassuring herself it wasn't true again and again until her breathing became more stable. Albeit her condition improved, her heart was still thundering. There was no way she could fall back to sleep in such a state.

Sighing, she got out of bed and casually tied her hair into a ponytail. She changed into her training attire as she headed out of her room. She glanced at the fur ball curling up in her bed, snoring away. She let out a chuckle, Cinder hasn't changed.

As she passed by the mirror, her reflection made her eyes widen. It has been days since she last looked in the mirror. Preparing everything for the announcement was hectic, there just wasn't time for leisure.

A helpless laugh came out from Freya, she looked so frail. Dark circles under her eyes,  cracked lips and blood-shot eyes. Splashes of blood were present on her clothes and the hollow hole at her chest as though her heart was dug out. Was she still a princess?

She caressed the mirror as her reflection reverted into her beautiful self, "Ah, to think I hallucinated. Well, the dark circles are still there."

But other than that, she still looked 'fine'. Maybe it's because she's mentally exhausted.