The Second Year Begins

It was now the last week of the holidays. Harry had spent his time alternating between Black Manor, Greengrass Manor and Potter Castle. The two months had been used to learn as much as possible from Alfred Potter who was delighted to teach his descendant again. Harry spent more time learning Runes and Potions from Alfred along with several spells from the family grimoire. Sirius supplemented his education by bringing Harry's Defence and Transfiguration training up to speed. He also told Harry, much to the boy's immense joy, that he would start teaching him how to become an Animagus.

In the last week of August, the book lists finally arrived. Just as he was about to head over to Black Manor, three elves popped inside the dining room. It looked like they were fighting.

"Master, Dobby is trying to sneak into the castle," cried Tippy furiously. Harry didn't miss the stark contrast in their appearance. While Tippy and Sally were dressed in proper uniforms, the other elf, who seemed quite weak and unhealthy, was wearing a horrible looking tea towel.

"Who are you?" asked Harry, with narrowed eyes. "And why did you try to break into my home?"

"I am Dobby, sir," squeaked the elf. "Dobby is coming here to warn you, sir. Harry Potter must not return to Hogwarts School this year! Dark things are planned! Dobby has to protect Harry Potter!"

"Tippy, Sally, release him," ordered Harry. He kneeled down to match the elf's height and asked, "What are you talking about, Dobby? What terrible things?"

Dobby burst into furious tears at the gesture. "Harry Potter is greater than Dobby ever thought! He treats Dobby like an equal! But Harry Potter sir should not go back to school. There is a plot, a plot to make the most dangerous things happen!"

"What dangerous things? Who's plotting them?"

"Dobby cannot say, sir. Dobby's master doesn't even know he is here! Dobby would have to iron his hands for betraying his master. But Dobby doesn't care, for Harry Potter's safety is most important. Don't go to school, sir. Great danger is going to befall the castle this year. Harry Potter must protect himself and stay safe," said the elf, and snapped its fingers and disappeared.

Harry frowned. "Guys, who is Dobby's master?"

"Dobby is the Malfoy elf, Master Harry. He is treated very, very badly by his masters," answered Sally sadly.

Harry gritted his teeth. He had a soft spot for house-elves and he did not like people mistreating them. But what was Dobby talking about?

HP*SAVIOUR OF MAGIC*HP

An hour later, Harry and Sirius were in Diagon Alley, shopping for his school supplies. Despite his godson's protests, Sirius had put his foot down and decided to pay for all their purchases, saying that it was his duty as Harry's guardian to do so. Once uniforms, potions ingredients and other stationery were taken care of, they headed to Flourish and Blotts, which was playing host to a throng of people, including the press.

"Eh, this is bad," muttered Harry. "Quick, cast a glamour on me."

"Good idea," Sirius nodded. With a wave of his wand, they were both under a simple glamour charm. It turned out to be a good thing because Gilderoy Lockhart was posing for photographs. Just after Harry finished buying his fourth and fifth-year books, there was a scuffle at the entrance of the shop. The duo looked at each other in surprise when they saw Arthur Weasley physically fighting Lucius Malfoy. Harry could hear the last bit of their conversation.

"Here girl, take your book. It's the best your father can give you," snarled Lucius, thrusting the books into her cauldron. Sirius shook his head as he steered Harry out of the store.