Harry vs Hermione

Taking out the Marauder's Map, Harry checked for Hermione Granger and found her in the Gryffindor common room. Deactivating it, he took Daphne's hand and led them forward.

"How have the teachers allowed this?" asked Daphne quietly. "I was under the impression Muggle-borns have private sessions with their Heads of House so that they could adjust to the magical world better?"

"Professor McGonagall probably doesn't even know what Granger is doing," muttered Harry. "She's the most overworked member of staff at Hogwarts. Besides, just because Granger has been informed of the culture and traditions of the magical world doesn't mean she has to respect them, does it? Haven't you listened to her go on about how wizards don't have logic?"

Daphne hummed. "I doubt there is a single person in the castle who hasn't. I don't get it. What could possibly make her say something like that?"

Harry smiled grimly as he said, "Only those who have lived in both the Muggle world and magical world will realise that Muggle logic is quite different from wizard logic, a fact which Granger, unfortunately, fails to understand."

When they reached the tapestry of the Fat Lady, they stopped.

"My Lord, my Lady, how may I serve you?" asked the Fat Lady as she curtseyed for them.

"We would like to enter the tower please," said Harry impassively.

"Of course, my Lord," she said as it swung open, revealing the portrait hole. They entered together, but Daphne stayed behind, leaning against the wall as she watched her fiancé do the work.

"Potter, what are you doing here?" asked Ron Weasley, frowning. "How do you know our password?"

"I don't need a password to enter Gryffindor Tower, Weasley," said Harry calmly as he walked forward. "I get automatic entrance. Where's Hermione Granger?"

"What?" said Hermione, looking up from her needlework. In front of her were several woollen hats and socks.

"Granger, I need to talk to you, privately," said Harry, coming to a halt several feet away from her.

"Whatever you have to say to her, you can say in front of us all," said Ron, sounding annoyed. Hermione looked at Harry curiously, wondering what this was all about.

"Very well," said Harry dispassionately. He flicked his wand and said, "Accio house-elf clothes!"

Hermione flushed in outrage as dozens of hats and socks flew to him from different corners of Gryffindor Tower.

"What may I ask is this?"

"I don't answer to you!" snapped Hermione angrily. "You're not a prefect or a teacher."

"Yes, but I am an older student. I'm asking you again, what is this?"

"You already seem to know," said Hermione angrily. "It's the clothes I made for house-elves."

"To set them free?" asked Harry, his face not displaying a hint of emotion at all.

"Yes," said Hermione, sounding superior as she held her head high. "I'm doing them all a service. I can't believe witches and wizards condone slavery! The house-elves should be set free and that's what I'm going to do!"

Neville opened his mouth to reply furiously when Harry raised his hand, shaking his head at him. "And what if I told you that it won't work anymore?" he asked, with eyebrows raised. "What if I told you that I have re-bonded the house-elves you set free and that I have ensured that none of the clothes you trick them into taking will have any meaning to them anymore?"

"How dare you!" she shouted angrily, standing up to face him. "How dare you condone slavery? That's barbaric! I'm surprised that no one has tried to stop it yet; it just shows how backward your thinking is. House-elves need to be free; they need wages and sick leave and better working conditions. I can't believe the Ministry of Magic condones this! Making them your slave is monstrous! Why, in the Muggle world –"