Stepping out of the Shadow

After his meeting with the Prime Minister, Krum summoned Hermione and Percy. They walked out of the building and Disapparated. Krum took them to a cottage in Scotland, far away from prying eyes. Once they were all seated in the living room, he looked at them with critical eyes.

"You both have worked with me for three years in order to bring Harry Potter down," he said. "I have come to trust you, and I hope neither of you betrays that trust."

"Never, sir," said Hermione passionately. "We are as motivated to stop Potter as you are!"

"Good," Krum nodded. "Then you must do exactly as I say, and we can end the threat of this dark wizard for good. For one, Potter is now the Supreme Chancellor; the leader of the I.C.W is only powerful if he has his people backing him. Unfortunately, Potter has tremendous support internationally. Even before he was elected, he and his wife had a firm grasp on various politicians. As you can see, he surrounded me with his allies, without me even knowing about it, and managed to throw me out. He is cunning and manipulative, and has to be treated with extreme caution."

"What do we do about him, sir?" asked Percy swiftly.

"Getting rid of Potter is my task," explained Krum. "You leave that to me. However, you have to realise that just because Harry Potter is killed, it doesn't mean the crisis will end. Daphne Potter has enough prestige and influence to immediately take over. They are doing their best to brainwash the masses, making them see Muggles in an unfavourable light. I realised what Potter's mission was three years ago – he wants to become the ultimate ruler of the magical world; in short, their dictator."

Percy frowned. "That's what Grindelwand and You-Know-Who tried to do."

"And you think Potter is any less than his predecessors?" Krum shot back. "The fact that he managed to take over the I.C.W. proves how effective he is as compared to Grindelwald and Voldemort. I will not stand for it. He will do his utmost best to wage a war with the Muggles. He's nothing but a petty child who can't get over the fact that he had a miserable childhood. That brat fails to understand that he is not the only one who was rendered an orphan because of dark wizards. I was too, and yet I'm not like him. I've tried reasoning with him multiple times, but it just doesn't do the trick. If one were to observe the pattern of his moves over the last ten years, you'll realise that he's doing everything he possibly can to oppress both wizards as well as Muggles."

"Mr Krum, do you really think he'll be the cause a full-scale war between wizards and Muggles?" asked Percy.

"I'm sure of it," Krum nodded. "Hermione, what is the status of your research project?"

Hermione smiled proudly. "I've been successful, sir," she proclaimed. "I've managed to make magic work on Muggle devices."

After Harry Potter had forced the Confederation to amend the Statute of Secrecy, Krum had realised that the young man's goals might be more towards Muggle oppression that he realised. Why else would Potter want the Muggle-borns out of the way? He had spent many sleepless nights trying to find out what his enemy's goal was. After pouring through volumes that recorded Gellert Grindelwald and Lord Voldemort's rise to power, he noticed a pattern. All dark wizards seemed to work in a similar manner.

They recruited people when they were at school. Potter had done the same. Children of important Ambassadors like Su Li, Parvati and Padma Patil, Cho Chang, Blaise Zabini and Anthony Goldstein had all been brought into his circle. Along with that, he had support locally through Neville Longbottom, Susan Bones and Draco Malfoy. After school, he slowly gained strength while doing his best to remain in the shadows and once he was ready, he rose in power and destroyed his enemies.

All dark wizards had an agenda; if one were to observe the ideologies of the recent rogue wizards, they all had one thing in common – their hatred for Muggles.