Daphne's Helping Hand

Gilderoy Lockhart's trial was a sensation. Since he had assaulted the Head of a Most Ancient and Noble House, the trial would be automatically held at the Wizengamot instead of at the Council of Magical Law. The Council took care of the everyday legal matters of the British magical world, but the Wizengamot acted as the apex court in the country along with being the legislative body. Very important cases such as this were routed directly there.

The country was up in arms that a famous and beloved author like Gilderoy Lockhart had been arrested. Wanting to take advantage of the situation, Rita Skeeter had printed an article in the Daily Prophet which revealed Harry being a Parselmouth. Sirius was furious that he had still not gotten any information about her, but he persevered. He had hired a company which would screen letters Harry received from the public and forward any lethal letters to the D.M.L.E. Two women had already been arrested for sending undiluted bobotuber pus in the envelopes. A few others had been fined heavily for trying to cause bodily harm to another, a minor at that.

On the day of the trial, Amelia began by explaining what had happened that night and showed the evidence she had collected. She brought several teachers as witnesses and Chief Warlock Dumbledore testified as well. The Weasley and Diggory families were sitting with Harry in the seats meant for the plaintiff.

"I would request this august body to grant us the right to use Veritaserum," said Amelia, her voice booming. "If the accused has –"

"Hem, hem."

Amelia stopped talking and her left eye twitched minutely. Even Dumbledore's eyes grew a little cold when he heard that sound.

He turned and said, "Yes?"

"Would you mind if I made the teensiest interruption, Chief Warlock?" she asked in a very girlish, high-pitched voice.

"The Chair recognises Dolores Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister," said Dumbledore.

"Hem, hem. Thank you, Chief Warlock," said Umbridge in a fake surgery sweet voice. Her eyes landed on Harry, and Harry saw that she had a glint in her eye. Whatever she was going to say, he was sure he wasn't going to like it.

"I was wondering if the Wizengamot could view Mr Potter's memory of the event. If he is not lying, I'm sure he would have no objection to do so, don't you agree?" she asked and gave a girlish giggle at the end.

Harry's eyes darkened and his upper lip curled in distaste. He knew of this woman all right. She was the most hated woman in the entire Ministry from he had heard from Amelia's rants. She was the recently appointed Senior Undersecretary to Minister Fudge, before which she was the Head of the Improper Use of Magic Office.

"Objection, Chief Warlock," said Sirius sharply. "I will not consent to view my godson's memory of the event in front of entire Wizengamot and I'm sure Mr and Mrs Weasley, as well as Mr and Mrs Diggory, will agree with me. The boys were being sexually assaulted by Mr Lockhart and hence were in a state of undress. I will not let my godson's naked pictures appear on the front page of the Daily Prophet."

"I agree," boomed Amelia. "I have personally viewed the memory of the event I extracted from Mr Potter and I can testify that it is authentic. As the Head of the D.M.L.E., my word should suffice and as Harry Potter's guardian, I too will not let anyone else view that memory."

"Hem, hem. Are you suggesting that the boy in question may be lying? Mr Lockhart is a very famous author. Accusing him without presenting the main source of evidence is rather convenient, is it not? Especially considering how much publicity Mr Potter would get just to bring the man here on trumped-up charges. It is difficult to believe the words of a Parselmouth," said Umbridge, smiling sweetly at Harry.