The Defence Association

The next day, Harry and Daphne were walking hand in hand in Hogsmeade, enjoying the crisp October morning in Scotland. They were idly talking as they made their way around the streets. It was surprisingly not crowded and Harry wondered why that was.

"No one can stop talking about your classes," Daphne smiled proudly. "I already knew that you were an excellent teacher, Harry, but the way you handled that Potions class was amazing!"

Harry smiled slightly but didn't say anything. "Now, where are we all supposed to meet?" he asked her.

"Near the large Beech tree facing the valley, away from Hogsmeade and prying eyes. A few dozen people are to meet us there."

Harry hummed. When they neared the Beech tree, Harry's eyes widened. He rounded on Daphne and demanded, "You call this a few dozen people? There are probably two hundred students here; one-quarter of the school!"

Daphne wasn't fazed by his anger. "And that is a problem because?" she asked calmly. Better to nip things in a bud before we start fighting again. "Look, you're going to teach them anyway, so what's the difference in having a hundred students instead of ten? Wouldn't having more students help in the long run as your father said?"

"And what if their friends want to join too?" hissed Harry. "Pretty soon, the entire school would want me to teach them. I don't know if you know this Daphne, but I'm not paid to teach. I do so in classes because it is part of my apprenticeship. This is –"

"If you don't want to teach them, just say so," said Daphne coolly. "Don't pick a fight in public. I'm already done arguing with you after last night and I'm not in the mood for yet another argument. You want more Aurors and this is the best possible method of getting them. For your information, many of them here are sixth and seventh-year students. They could easily join the Auror Corps right after graduation, especially with the new incentives being offered by the D.M.L.E. Don't think I'm ignorant of your long-term plans, Harry. I know that you consider the Muggles a threat and I also know that you believe we need more Aurors for protection in case of danger, and even with you teaching them all, it won't happen overnight; it'll take three to five years but the numbers will eventually rise. I'm giving you the perfect opportunity to gain their loyalty which would reap benefits in the future. Take it or leave it, I don't particularly care."

Daphne turned and walked towards the large group with Harry slowly walking behind her. While she knew that she had her faults, Harry was no different. Sometimes she felt like pulling her hair out in frustration at the way he behaved and how closed off he was with his emotions. She knew that Harry wouldn't be who he is if he weren't so emotionally detached most of the time, but that didn't mean she should like it all the time. He was also a very proud boy and it was difficult to get him to back down, even for the simplest of matters. She understood that he was under tremendous pressure lately and she did her utmost best to help and support him, but that was not to say she would be fine with constantly being his punching bag. There were days when she was stressed and irritable too.

Who knew living with another person was so difficult?

Both Harry and Daphne were true alpha personalities and as they grew up, they were scraping shields more than usual. That was not to say that they didn't love each other unconditionally, but with both of them being dominant and assertive, it was difficult to end an argument when both of them weren't willing to back down.

According to her mother, both of them were acting like teenagers. Daphne didn't understand that at all! That was what her mother said to everything. Didn't older couples fight too? Oh yes, according to her mother, they did fight, but they also tended to compromise.

That word did not exist in either Harry or Daphne's vocabulary.

"Are you okay?" asked Dylan worriedly.