Meeting the Mentor

The city of Inbu-Hedj was one of the oldest cities in Africa. The entire continent was divided into five magical provinces based on their geographical location – east, west, north, south, and central. Inbu-Hedj, named after the great white fortifications around the city, was also less popularly known as Memphis. It served as the capital of the North African Ministry of Magic. Like most other magical provinces around the world, they too had long since broken off from the Muggle world, thus leading to a purely magical city being built. Set on the banks of the holy Nile river, the architecture of the city was breathtaking. Ancient structures, statues and temples dominated the various high roads. Tall sculptures of great witches and wizards from history were placed at important places. While the classical language of the Egyptians was mostly forgotten in the Muggle world, it was very much in use by the witches and wizards in the region, but thanks to translation charms and potions, languages had never been a problem for anyone in the magical world.

It was the first week of August. Harry and Daphne had left on their world tour a few days after their wedding. Their first stop originally had been France, so that Harry could meet his mentor, Nicolas Flamel. However, they had received a surprising message via owl that instructed the couple to travel to the city of Inbu-Hedj instead, where the Flamels were currently staying. Apparently, they found out, the old alchemist and his wife did not like to stay in one location for too long.

"It makes sense, I guess, since they have a priceless artefact in their possession," muttered Daphne as she set up her workstation in their hotel room.

Harry nodded in agreement. He looked around the suite they had rented for their stay in Egypt. Even though the Potters had properties all over the world, every one of them was leased out. Therefore, they had decided to stay at hotels during their tour. The current hotel, named after the former magical Pharaoh Cleopatra, was considered by many as the best in the region. Their suite certainly reflected it, and so did the cost of staying there.

"Are you sure you'll be fine here?"

Daphne rolled her eyes in fond exasperation. "I'll be fine, Harry," she said, patting his cheek, smiling at him. "I'm not going to be bored here, you know. I have a lot of work to do. If I need to consult the experts in the city, I'll let you know before I leave. Will that appease you?"

Harry nodded. He knew that his wife could take care of herself, but that didn't mean that he wasn't protective of her.

With a wave of her hand, several devices emerged from within her trunk. Daphne watched in silence as a large transparent glass sheet stood in front of her. Smaller rectangular shaped glass devices arranged themselves on her desk. A quill neatly placed itself next to the device.

2003 was considered by many as the year when magical technology became the main focus for everyone in the magical world. It started as an investment opportunity for Harry Potter when he financially supported a smart and talented witch named Serena Miller. The invention of the wide range of mirrors soon started a trend. Enchanters were what young adults aspired to be all over the world and the results of their dreams were promising.

Parchment and ink were quickly disappearing. Magical computers were on the rise, created by a team of witches and wizards from different parts of the world. They resembled transparent sheets of glass, but they could be modified to suit the texture and shape of the user. It could even resemble a sheet of parchment! Regular quills were substituted for a magical device that could be written on the said computers. The technology of the mirrors, crystals and dicta-quills were all integrated into them.

"What is that?" asked Harry curiously. On the large rectangular screen, there was a drawing of a pyramid-shaped device that was glowing red from the inside. There were runes carved on it, but the screen was dominated by the various mathematical formulae that Daphne had written.