Strikin' a Deal

School was out and Two-Bit was looking for something to do. The boys were either at work or no where to be found, so he headed over to the Dingo to see if he could find any action. Pulling into the parking lot, he spotted some of the Shepard gang hanging out over to one side. As he parked and walked toward them, he recognized one all too familiar figure: Ponyboy Curtis, who was very much not allowed to hang out with the Shepard gang unsupervised. He was still too naive, too easily persuaded to follow the other boys into trouble.

Jesus, now Two-Bit had to deal with that.

"He-ya, boys," Two-Bit said, sidling up beside Ponyboy, whose eyes went wide at his presence, knowing he'd been busted.

"H-hi, Two-Bit," Pony stammered.

"You ready to go meet up with the guys, Pony?" Two-Bit asked. There was no way the kid was staying there, but he wasn't gonna embarrass the kid if he didn't have to. He'd didn't quite know what he'd do if Ponyboy protested, but it wasn't gonna be pretty.

"Huh?" Ponyboy replied and Two-Bit could just about smack the kid. He was trying to be nice here.

"Remember, we're supposed to meet Steve and Soda at the DX? I told you I'd give you a ride," Two-Bit ground out.

"Oh, yeah," Pony replied, clearly confused but playing along.

"Thought you were coming down to the river with us?" Curly Shepard asked. Two-Bit had to bite his cheek to keep from hollering at Pony right then. The kids only went down by the river to drink whiskey, smoke grass, and make bad decisions. Boy, Darry was gonna wear him out something awful.

"Forgot I had plans. Sorry, Curls."

"We'll see ya later, guys," Two-Bit said, grabbing Pony's upper arm and pulling the kid back toward his car, resisting the urge to smack the kid's butt right there. It's what Darry would do, but Two-Bit liked to think of himself as a cool big brother. He'd popped the kid a few times before but never in view of anyone else but the gang.

"What the hell were you thinking, kid?" Two-Bit all but yelled, slapping Pony hard across the back of the head once they were in the car, "Darry's gonna kill you."

"C'mon, Two-Bit, do you gotta tell him? I don't think I'll ever sit down again."

"And have Darry whup my ass as well? Hell no. Besides, you know good and well you ain't supposed to be hanging out with the Shepard gang without one of us along."

"Please Two-Bit? Darry won't find out and I won't ever do it again!"

"Yeah, sure," Two-Bit snorted.

"What if you punish me?" Ponyboy said, as if it was the greatest idea he'd ever had, "I could write you an essay about how I'm gonna make better choices in the future?"

"No," Two-Bit responded. This was a big deal and the kid was certainly not getting away with some wimpy little punishment.

"Chores? I could wash your car and do your laundry and whatever you need?"

"You don't think Darry would find it awfully suspicious if you were suddenly doing all that stuff for me?"

"You could stick me in the corner for a really long while?"

"Sure, we can do that after Darry whups you."

"How about you skin me yourself?"

Two-Bit was taken aback by that. "Why would you want me to do that when that's what Darry's gonna do anyway?"

"'Cause Darry's liable whip my ass right off, 'specially if he heard I was heading down by the river. Figured I'd take my chances with whatever you could dish out." God, the kid was right. Darry was gonna be pissed. Ponyboy had near enough got himself into another reckless situation by following other people. He was not allowed to hang out with Curly or any of those boys without one of the gang along for that very reason. Two-Bit hated feeling like a tattle-tale but it was important that Ponyboy learned his lesson good.