Mind your Ma

It was 7AM on a Friday and Darry was unsuccessfully trying to get everyone up and moving for the day. Ponyboy was hogging the shower and Soda seemed intent on making the most elaborate breakfast possible. Steve was passed out on the couch after being kicked out yet again. All Darry wanted was to drink a cup of coffee before he had to leave for work. Wishful thinking.

"Hello?" Darry answered when the phone rang, hoping it was nobody important.

"Hi, Darry," Mrs. Mathews said, sounding frustrated. Uh oh. An early morning phone call from Mrs. Mathews could only mean one thing: Two-Bit had done something. "I'm so sorry to call you, but well, I really need Two-Bit to get up and go to school today and he's refusing. His history teacher said he can't pass the class if he doesn't take this test."

"He hungover?" Darry asked.

"I'd reckon so," Mrs. Mathews replies, "I've been trying to get him up for over an hour now and I finally threatened to call you. Usually he wisens up when I do that, but not today."

"Did you try smacking his backside a couple times?" Darry asked, knowing what he would do.

"I popped him once with my sandal but he just grunted and rolled over before I could smack him again."

Darry shook his head. If the kid had tried that for him, Darry would have yanked him out of bed and lit his ass up. Considering Mrs. Mathews probably weighed 90 pounds soaking wet, she didn't have that option. "Can you put the phone to his ear?"

"Yeah, just a sec," Mrs. Mathew said. Darry could hear her picking up the phone base and taking it into another room.

"Keith Edward, what's this I hear about you not minding your mother?" Darry said once he could hear the sound of the kid breathing.

"Trying to sleep," Two-Bit muttered.

"You should've been sleeping last night instead of getting wasted," Darry scolded, "I'm gonna give you to the count of three or you'll be going to school with a sore backside. One."

Two-Bit muttered something that Darry couldn't quite make out but was almost certainly not polite.

"Two," Darry said firmly. He sighed as he still didn't hear anything that would indicate Two-Bit had gotten up. "And that's three."

"I thought for sure that would work," Mrs. Mathews' came through the phone.

"Me too," Darry said, "Lemme make sure Sodapop and Ponyboy are all set for the day and then I'll stop by on my way to work and get him up."

"Are you sure? I just hate that you have to go out of your way to deal with him."

"Yeah I'll be there soon," Darry said, "He knows better than to let me get to three. I'll be over in a few minutes to set him straight."

"Alright, see you then," Mrs. Mathews said.

"Two-Bit?" Soda asked, coming into the living room as Darry hung up the phone.

"Yeah, he ain't listening to his mom and I gotta go drag him out of bed. Can you make sure Ponyboy gets off to school alright? Steve can drive him if you can get him up and off the couch. "

"Sure thing," Soda replied, as Darry sat down to lace up his work boots.

"Can you also grab me the paddle?" Darry asked. Soda opened his mouth to argue but shut it and nodded. Darry knew it was instinct for Soda to try to protect his brothers, but he also knew that Two-Bit's disrespect for his mom got on Soda's nerves sometimes. Soda and their mom had been extremely close and he and Two-Bit had had several arguments over the older boy not appreciating his own mother.