.12.

The Breach

I groaned rubbing my eyes and yawning. There was a warm vibrating cat laying on my chest. I smiled at Salem and cursed him for keeping me in bed for too long than I should. He always seemed to keep me in bed making me late to work but luckily I didn't have to work at all today once it was the weekend. I heard my phone ring on my night stand beside me. I groaned again seeing Kaiden's name light tup my phone. Apparently I'm still on the clock. I though to myself.

"Hello." I said yawning into the phone definitely not on purpose. "Good morning beautiful how did you sleep?" He asked me in a kind tone. "Better if I didn't have my boss waking me up." I heard him scoff over the phone. "Well open the door." I cocked my head to the side confused to what he was asking. "What?" I questioned. "I've been standing out here for 20 minutes please open the door." I stood up making my way to the front door. "There's no way you actually here-" I opened the door and Kaiden stood there in all his glory.

He hung up the phone and a smiled grew across his face from seeing me in my pajamas. I turned the other way and he followed me into my apartment. "How could you! I literally haven't even gotten up or changed or even brushed my teeth." He still had a smile on his face and he made his way into my kitchen and looked in the cabinets. "I'm sorry princess I ruined your beauty sleep on this fine Saturday." He mocked me. "Do you not have any coffee?" He asked me curiously.

"No I just moved I haven't had the chance to buy anymore." He nodded his head once leaving his search to question me. "Get ready in something and let go get some coffee then I'm sure the both of us need it." He stated leaning down and resting on the counter top his head in his palm. He did look tired probably from a long night last night. "Are you going to actually tell me what happened last night?" I questioned him but I didn't give him a moment to speak. "I get you want to keep your personal life private but also I work there too." I defended and he nodded his head understanding me.

"I planned on telling you over coffee this morning now get your sexy ass ready." He said and I rolled my eyes. Just as if perfect or shall I say Purrfect timing Salem jumped up on the counter getting in Kaidne's face. "Ugh cat!" Kaiden straightened up and gave himself space between him and Salem. I rolled my eyes at his reaction to my cat. "Salem is the sweetest so be nice or momma bear is going to have to come out." I said and now it is Kaiden's turn to roll his eyes.

I went into my bedroom and I changed into some leggings and a white button down. I brushed my teeth and brush the nest that was on the back of my head. Once I was done I walked out into the living room and slipped on my loafers before I turned to Kaiden ready to leave. He was completely absorbed by his phone texting away. "I'm ready." I stated softly hoping to get his attention.

Kaiden stood shoving his phone in his pocket. "Okay okay you have my full attention for the morning." He smiled at me before opening the door for me and letting me walk out first. We walked down to the front of the building and his Volvo was sitting outside as shiny as ever. Kaiden as per usual opened the door for me again and I crawled in. He drove me farther into downtown to a small coffee shop. When we got there he looked over the menu carefully before asking me what I wanted. "They have omelettes if your hungry and need some good protein."

I laughed at him softly before walking up to the cashier and ordering. "Can I get a small mocha and a muffin please." I pulled out my card and Kaiden made a move to stop me. "I'm a big girl Kaiden I'm capable of paying for my $7 breakfast." I sassed and the look on his face was displeased. "I'd rather you spend your money on more important things. I make $7 every second." He whispered in my ear.

I pay anyways ignoring him and I stood aside for him to order as well. "One large black coffee and one veggie omelette." He orders. I rolled my eyes at him he can be such a basic ass. Kaiden payed then turned to me ready to go sit down. So he picked a seat by the window. I watched the cars drive by for a moment until our food was ready. Kaiden jumped up and grabbed both of our food. He sat the food down in front of me but instead of giving me my muffin he gave me the omelette.

"I didn't want this." I stated remind him. "Well you need more then some sugar bread so eat." I rolled my eyes at him again. "If you don't stop rolling your eyes I'll have to do something about that." I kept my eyes down but I mentally rolled my eyes once more. "Are you going to ever tell me what happened last night? I was pretty worried about what was going on."

Kaiden ignored me for a moment and sipped on his coffee. "Apparently this guy break into the office last night and stabbed one of the security guards. He tried breaking into my office but of course it was under lock and key. The police found the guy trying to get into your computer. The thief confessed to it being a paid job but refused to tell us who. He's in custody at the police station now." Kaiden explained to me and my jaw was on the floor.

"You have to be kidding me! Is the guard okay?" I asked anxiously. "Yes he's fine. We sent him to the hospital and I'm covering everything with workers comp." Kaiden sighed. "What do you think they were going after?" I asked. "I don't know exactly. But I have a few people in mind that I can think of that would want some numbers. Once I find out exactly how they got on they floor undetected someone's getting sued that's for sure."

I shook my head finishing my food feeling almost too full. "Do you think Mr. Bren we did this?" I asked him and he shook his head at me. His eyebrows coming closer together. "No he knows better then try to break into my office. If he wanted number he could just ask plus he already had copies of all of our business we did together." Kaiden explained as he finished his coffee. "I promise we will figure it out but until then I want you to stay out of office." He continued. "I don't think it's best for you to be there in case something else happens I don't want you hurt."

"What? No! Kaiden that's ridiculous. I can't stop working over this I mean it's not like someone is going to be stabbing anyone in broad daylight." I insisted. "Denali this is no joke I don't play these kinds of games and I'm not going to risk anything important to me." Anything important to me. "Kaiden I understand you're worry but I'm not going to stop working. There's no reason too and I'm not letting my finances struggle over this matter." He looked at me confused for a moment then cocked his head to the side.

"Your finances will stay the same because I'll give you leave pay until it's safe." I shook my head at his bribes. There's no way in hell I'm just going to stop working because of this incident. Especially when I'm only there from 9am to 5pm. "Kaiden I'm going to work end of discussion. I'm not scared of some lurker." I scolded him. Kaiden looked down at his palms and rubbed his thumb over his palm massaging it as he continued to think. "Fine but I will not let you work past your normal scheduled hours." I nodded my head in agreement with his decision.

"I wasn't planning on it." I sassed back still a little shape from our conversation. We cleaned up the table before walking out of the cafe. Kaiden's phone when off and he glanced at it before answering it. "Jack-" He greeted. We stood there for a moment and I watched traffic waiting for him to be done. "That makes no sense. I'll ask her Monday morning bye." Kaiden hung up.

"Quinn was the only person there around that time." Kaiden noted. I shook my head hugging my body trying to hide it from the cold. "What does she have to do with this?" I asked rising questions. Kaiden shrugged his shoulders not knowing much himself. "I'll drive you home I know you have other plans today. I got to figure this all out." Kaiden walked me to the car and drive me home.

When we got to the apartment we got out and stood in the door way for a moment. He gazed into my eyes deeply as he lifted my chin so he could see me better. "You know I just want you safe that's all I wish. You're a very important person in my life and.... I know what it's like to lose people I hold dearly. I don't want to lose you." He explained and I gave him a comforting smile. "I know Kaiden I promise not to put myself in danger not just for me but for you."

He leaned down and placed his lips on mine for a moment. I soaked in the feeling of his lips on mine and I melted into his arms. "I'll hold you to that promise and that includes no drinking unless you're with me." He said and I nodded my head agreeing. "It's going to be hard but I can only try right?" He smiled down at me his whiskers poking me as he kissed me again. "Oh you are such a darling!" He hugged me tightly swaying me back and forth.

"I'll see you Monday and hopefully by then we will have some answers." I nodded my head once confidently. "Okay! I'll see you then!" He kissed me softly once more before pulling away and walking calmly to his car. I watched him for a moment before I decided to not be weird staring at him and made my way up to my apartment.