.21.

The Resurrection

Death was peaceful. Death was quiet. I float in a dark place. No tears or sadness I couldn't feel anything. Maybe there was t a heaven or hell? Or maybe I'm in my purgatory awaiting my own doom I wasn't exactly sure. All of the sudden I heard a small beeping in a slow pattern. A ache started in what I could only describe is my chest then it spread out widening to a full pain all over. The beeping go louder and I heard the sound of papers like they were being blown in the wind.

As if my story was unraveling in front of me but I could only see the familiar shapes of what danced behind my eyes. I heard movement foot steps circling me and I felt myself awaken. I slowly opened my eyes and was blinded by the light. I stared at a white plain ceiling. I blinded a few times trying to get my vision to clear before I could see better. I focused my attention on looking around. I was in a hospital bed with the beeping of the monitors in my ear. Across from me to the left in the window of the hospital sat Kaiden who had his arms crossed and his head hung over them asleep.

His face wasn't relaxed or peaceful as I was used to seeing him sleep but his eyebrows was pulled together in a frustrated manner. Standing beside him was his mother with her hand on his shoulder. She had tears in her eyes and a soft sweet smile. A smile you'd give someone when you feel sorry for them. I already didn't want them to feel sorry for me but the pain in my body suggests that I should have empathy. Kaidens mother shook Kaiden slightly to wake him up.

He instantly woke up his eyes had dark circles and were blood shot from crying. "She's awake. I'll go get the doctor." His mother said walking out of the room Kaiden instantly stood and came to my side. "Dani..." is all he could said and he kissed my forehead. I had so many questions in my mind but didn't know how to say them so in a dry croak I asked the most important one. "The baby?" I asked and Kaiden nodded his head.

"The baby is okay. When you were shot it was right below your ribs on your side. It took them awhile to get you and the baby stable but they did." I shook my head at him in disbelief still. "What happened to Brenner?" Kaiden took in a deep breath. "I killed him. I'll be getting my own punishment for that but that will come in due time. Quinn was arrested too for helping him and I'm going to make sure she doesn't ever leave a prison cell." I nodded my head slowly.

"And you Kaiden. How are you?" I reached out and touched his face there were IV tubes that hanging off of me. I caressed his face and he closed his eyes and began to cry. In this moment I looked at a broken man. I've seen him broken down before but not like this. Before it was sadness and this time it was me that brought these tears. "I was so scared. I am so scared. I thought history was going to repeat itself. I thought I was going to lose you and the baby." He explained his voice cracking due to holding back tears.

"I told you. You're not going to lose me." I said back and he shook his head and he held my hand to his face. Before twisting his wet face in my palm and kissing the inside of my palm. "I love you." He said just as the doctor came in. "Good morning! I'm happy to see that sleeping beauty has awoken." I smiled awkwardly at the doctor. He checked me out and my vitals. He explained to me that I had to have surgery and he went over the care for my wounds. He explained I'll have to stay in the hospital for a few more days for observation until I can go home. I was been in a short coma for a week after the emergency surgery.

"Now as for the baby. She is perfectly healthy and happy. We worked very hard to get her stable again." Kaiden looked at me wide eyed. "Her?" I asked and the doctor blushed. "Have you not had a check up on the baby yet?" I shook my head no. "Oh well it seems that you are around 3 months pregnant and it will be a baby girl." Kaidens hand that was holding mine tightened. I looked back at Kaiden and he didn't even hold back his tears. I pulled Kaiden closer to me and I kissing him. His cheeks were wet against mine.

"We are going to have a little girl Kaiden." I said and he smiled shaking his head. I watched as if fireworks were going off in his head. I knew I wanted this but for Kaiden he wanted it too. But for him he had lost and lost and now he has it. He has this dream he has been wanting. Once the doctor left Kaiden mom came up to me and hugged me. "I'll go back to the firm and just make sure everything is running smoothly." She told Kaiden. "Let them know I won't be in for a few days. I have to focus on my family." Kaiden said and she nodded kissing my hand and then kissing Kaiden on the cheek before leaving.

"So are you going to be taking more time off on the weekends?" I asked and he looked at me confused. "How do you know?" I smiled at him. "You told me that night you were blacked out. You would take more time off to spend with me and the baby." He sighed and nodded his head. "Yes because you two right here are all that matters in this little world." He brushed my hair out of my face while placing a hand on my still sore stomach. "This is just the start of your little world." I whispered to him.