Chapter 31: Oakley

Last Chapter Recap -Jenifer

"Yes, we are glad to be back too but we need you to look at Jenifer right now," Oakley said urgently.

What did he mean by "look at me?"

Was this it? I knew I shouldn't have trusted them. They brought me to their home just to kill me in my sleep.

I should have kept running back to Mommy and Daddy.

What about Owen?

He seemed so sure about these people.

He pinky promised me.

—--------------------------------

Jenifer and Owen were both asleep when we walked in the door.

The girls quickly got to work on Jenifer, ensuring she was alright and helping her as best they could.

I hoped that we wouldn't need to take her to a hospital, we were cutting it close when we took me but taking her would be even worse because her parents will probably have her marked as kidnapped and the whole town will be on high alert for her.

I had Jenifer placed on the couch and Owen taken to Oliver and I's room to give the girls as much space as possible.

I looked over at my sisters and could see the matching pain and worry written on their faces.

"How could anyone do this to such a sweet small girl," June says with tears in her eyes.

"How bad is it? Is she going to be okay?" I asked them both as Oliver returned from putting Owen down.

Janae looked at me for the first time since we got back, "What happened to your face? Oakley, you have a black eye and busted lip!"

This caused June to turn and look at me too. "Oh my gosh, Oakley!"

I rolled my eyes at the two of them.

"I got into a bit of a tussle with their dad but I am fine, focus on Jenifer," I said sternly, I was not the biggest concern right now.

They both nodded and got back to work. They had all the medical supplies they brought from home and I honestly couldn't tell what they were doing.

"You never answered Oakley's question. How bad is it and will she be okay?" Oliver said from behind me.

"Yes, she will probably be okay, nothing looks infected," June glared at me at the word infected. "She will definitely need lots of time to heal and she will most likely have permanent scaring but I think that she will be fine."

Janae took a deep breath, "Unless her ribs are broken."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well if her ribs are broken then she will need to get a brace and we will have to take her to a hospital. I'm going to touch her ribs and see if they are broken, thankfully she is asleep because this will hurt."

"Lovely," Oliver said sarcastically.

Janae started poking at Jenifer's ribs and as soon as she touched the bruised area Jenifer's little face scrunched up in pain.

She wasn't asleep.

Janae touched Jenifer again and her eyes burst open.

She started breathing heavily and looking around in a panic.

"Hey Jenifer, it's okay, remember me? Im Oakley," I said going to sit next to her. "You are in our house, these are mine and Oliver's sisters. This is June and Janae and they are going to help you."