Chapter 40: Janae

Last Chapter Recap- June

"Why don't you go to sleep June, it's late and I'm sure that will help you feel better."

"Janae, how am I supposed to sleep without Oakley being here?"

She sighed, "Well we all need to sleep no matter if Oakley is here or not. I'm sure that he will be back in the morning when you wake up."

—------------------

Oakley was not back when we woke up and June had gotten worse.

The hives had completely taken over her whole body and her fever was getting worse.

Not only that but Oliver and Owen were completely broken without their twins.

I am trying to remain calm and optimistic but who am I kidding, I am a complete mess on the inside.

I was worried about Oakley and Jenifer of course. Where are they? What happened? Should we go look for them or remain safe where we are?

Then I was also worried for my siblings here. Oliver had barely spoken in the past 24 hours while Owen had never talked more. Telling us how angry he is and how much he hates our brother for taking Jenifer.

June was also very concerning. This is the first time I've seen something like this.

Between Oakley and June, I've probably treated them hundreds of times for colds, fevers, and stomach bugs but I've never seen hives like this on someone.

I thought that it could probably be an allergic reaction to something she ate but she hasn't tried anything new while we have been here. Everything we have eaten is things we have eaten before.

My next thought went to maybe something we bought and ate was poisoned or laced with something but that wouldn't explain why only June is sick. If that were the case we would all have the hives.

None of us had slept well, some of us hadn't slept at all.

Oliver came into the room with me and June at probably 2 am.

"Can I sleep in here on the floor?" He whispered to me, trying not to wake June.

"What?" I turned to see him standing in our door frame holding his pillow and blanket like a little kid.

"I've never slept in a room by myself without Oakley. I can't do it."

I sighed "Yes come in, you can have my extra blanket," I told him as I put down a blanket for him to sleep on.

"Thanks, Jae."

So that's how I woke up this morning, with June still covered in hives to my right and Oliver sleeping on the floor to my left.

I got up and tip-toed over Oliver, trying not to wake him.

I made my way into the living room where Owen was softly snoring on the couch. I went towards him and saw that he still had tear stains on his cheeks, poor baby had probably cried himself to sleep.

I went to the kitchen and tried making breakfast for when they all woke up. I wanted to go back in time to 24 hours ago before Oakley and Jenifer left and beg them to stay.

I didn't like being the oldest in the house. I felt too responsible. Too much of a risk.

I had to make the tough decisions and I didn't know what to do.

Should we go look for them? They could be hurt or lost, who knows.

They could also come back home any minute and surprise us.