Chapter 1

The sound of the alarm clock buzzing frantically on my nightstand jolted me awake. The thing was practically screaming. It's too goddamn early for this. I let out an agitated moan and lazily rolled over, slamming my hand down on the snooze button. If I concentrate hard enough, maybe I can drift back to sleep. I try to slow my thoughts, focusing on the image that was playing in my mind before I was so rudely interrupted.

The flashing lights. The smell of something sweet and sugary lingering in the air. The cheesy carnival music playing softly in the background. The screams of laughter. The thrill and adrenaline that rushed through my veins as the swings spun us faster and faster.

"I think I'm gonna be sick."

"Peter Parker, I swear to god, if you throw up on me-"

"Blah!"

The boy with the short, messy brown hair screamed from the swing next to me. He threw his head back, laughing at my disgust at his poor attempt at a joke.

The ride slowed, lowering us to the ground. Peter reached his hand out and grabbed the chains that were attached to my swing, his hand resting just above where mine gripped tightly.

"You're an ass," I laughed, shaking my head.

He pulled the chain tighter, bringing our seats together. He leaned in closer, his head only a few inches away from mine. His fingers gently brushed against my knuckles. He turned to look at me, a smile beaming across his face.

"Admit it," he gasped. "I almost had you."

"Jerk," I smiled as I shoved his seat away from mine. His grip on the chain was too tight and it sent my seat crashing into his, our shoulders knocking into one another and our feet becoming entangled as we swayed in the air.

"Hey! You two. Knock it off," the ride operator called from somewhere behind us.

"Sorry, sorry," Peter mumbled as he turned to face me, laughing uncontrollably.

"So, where to next?" I asked, climbing out of the seat.

"No idea," Peter exhaled as he followed behind. He jogged a few steps to catch up, throwing his arm around my shoulder as he matched his pace with mine. "But I'll follow you anywhere."

The buzzing started again, this time more intense than the last. This thing really has it out for me today. I sighed, burying my face into my pillow as my arm searched for the off button on the alarm. All I wanted was to return back into the blissful dream, to return to a time when things were easy. When things were less...complicated.

A knock on my window shifted my attention to the present. I lifted my head, turning to look over my shoulder at the window. A vague outline of a blob was the only image I was able to see. I rolled over, sitting up in bed as I reached to pick up my glasses that were on my nightstand.

As I put my glasses on, blinking a few times, the form of my best friend came into focus. He was squatting on the roof outside my window, shaking his head and pointing at his watch. I crawled over to the window that was near the end of my bed, unlocking the latch so he could lift it.

"Since when did you start locking this?" Peter grunted as he struggled to lift the window. He clumsily climbed through, landing on the edge of my bed. He sat cross-legged and reached over to lower the window.

"Since this kid kept climbing through it at unreasonable hours," I yawned. Peter stared at me looking offended, his mouth hanging open. "Kidding," I mumbled as I threw a pillow at his head. "I lock it when mom's working overnights."