Chapter 25

Gwen's mom showed up at the scene outside of Oscorp not long after Dr. Connors had been transported away for processing. Knowing that Gwen and her mom could benefit from time alone to grieve the loss of their beloved Captain Stacey, I decided it was best to go home. I knew all too well how important that time together was after a recent death.

Eddie had asked one of the officers if they could give us a ride back to my house. They hesitated at first but eventually agreed, stating that it was on their way back to the station. We rode in silence the entire ride there, no one knowing what to say.

My phone had an outrageous number of texts and missed calls from both May and my mom. Turns out my mom wasn't able to leave when her shift was over. They had asked her to stay late to help with the aftermath of the attack at Oscorp. She wouldn't be home until much later tonight, if at all. Shocker.

I sent a text to May letting her know that I would be home soon and that I was returning from the hospital. I briefly explained why I had been there earlier, knowing I would most likely fill in the details when I saw her.

My mom had sent me a text while we were in the car saying some guy named Flash had stopped by the hospital wondering where I was. I quickly typed out a response letting her know that I was okay and was headed back to the Parker's home. She replied almost instantly saying she would let him know.

As we pulled in front of the Parker's house, I looked up to see the outline of May standing in the doorway, chewing on her fingernail. Her nervous state was a welcomed sight after the chaotic day I had.

"Emerson," May cried as she wrapped her cardigan sweater around her body tightly and came running down the porch stairs.

Eddie helped me get out of the police car, holding on to my arm to steady me so I didn't fall while I climbed out of the backseat. His fingers ran down my arm, not wanting to let go, as I pulled away and walked over to meet May. I heard him let out a quiet sigh as his hand slowly slid away from mine.

"Oh, you poor thing," May said as she hugged me tightly. She ran her hand up and down my back. "I was worried sick about you. I'm glad you're home," she exhaled, shaking her head as she turned to face Eddie. "I don't think we've met," she said, eyeing him skeptically.

"Huh?" he asked, lifting his head to meet her questioning stare. "Oh, uh, Eddie," he stated, motioning to himself with his hands. "I'm, uh," he stammered, looking around nervously, "Yeah, okay," he nodded, blinking several times.

"He works with me at The Bugle," I explained, watching him carefully as he scratched his forehead.

"Hey, Em," he said, closing his eyes. "I'm- I'm gonna head out," he stated, pointing over his shoulder with his thumb. "I left my bike at the school. I'm gonna go get it."

"Would you like to come inside for some tea first?" May questioned, furrowing her eyebrows as she stared at Eddie who was clumsily starting to walk away.

"What?" he asked, squinting as he turned around to face us. "No, that's, uh," he said shaking his head, "No, that's okay."

May hummed disapprovingly as she pressed her lips together.

"Thank you though," Eddie added, lifting his hand to gesture at May. His arm quickly fell, landing against his leg with a loud clap. "Em," he called, lifting his hand again, "I'll see you...Yeah, I'll see you. Goodnight," he nodded as he turned around and started walking toward the school.

"Is he always like that?" May whispered, leaning into my side as she gripped my arm tightly.

I couldn't help but let out a small amused exhale. "Yeah," I smiled, shaking my head. "Sometimes."