Chapter 10

The air was crisp, whipping my hair as I climbed out of the car. A cold front had brought a breeze to the city, cutting harshly with each gust. My face was numb from the cold, which somehow made it easier to maintain my composure. I released a few tears during the ceremony at the church, not wanting to acknowledge my true feelings in fear that I wouldn't be able to control my reaction if I allowed myself to experience the full extent of my emotions.

Peter hadn't spoken a word to me since our stand-off in the kitchen. He didn't even look my way once at the church. He stood by May's side, arms crossed and eyes forward throughout the entire service. Gwen kept stealing glances my way, staring at me from behind Peter's shoulder every now and then. We made eye contact a few times, my chest wincing every time I saw her hand wrapped around his arm, leaning on his shoulder as she comforted him.

Peter had opted to walk to the cemetery with Gwen, not wanting to ride in the car with us. I couldn't do anything but watch in agony as they walked hand in hand in front of me to the spot where we would be lowering Ben into the earth, sending him off to his final resting place.

May came up behind me, exiting the car, and placed a hand on my shoulder, rubbing my back gently. "He'll come around eventually," she sighed, placing a soft kiss on my shoulder.

I lifted my arm, taking her hand in mine, exhaling as I leaned into her embrace. My eyes continued to follow their movements, observing as Gwen stood on her toes, placing a kiss on Peter's cheek. A lump formed in the back of my throat, causing me to close my eyes, and turn my head away as I swallowed.

May squeezed my hand, patting my back while she took a step away from me, nudging my shoulder. "I think someone's waiting for you," she whispered, a quaint smile pulling at her lips as she nodded behind me.

I slowly turned my head, following her nod toward the person she was motioning at. Flash. I let out a long exhale through my nose, smiling as I took in the sight of him.

He was standing on the other side of the narrow road, holding a bouquet of carnations in his hand, shifting awkwardly from one foot to the other as his eyes scanned the small crowd of people. He was wearing a suit, wrapped up in a grey scarf that was peeking out of his dark wool overcoat.

His eyes squinted as he searched the group gathering near the open grave, softening as they eventually found their way to mine. His somber expression was quickly replaced with a smile, grinning wistfully as he waved at me.

"I'll catch up with you in a minute," I stated to May, calling over my shoulder, not taking my eyes off of Flash.

I took a step forward, walking slowly to meet him. He lowered his head to the ground, lifting his hand to clear his throat, and pressed his lips together. His gaze slowly lifted to mine as I approached, his eyes swelling with compassion as I drew closer.

"Hi," he whispered, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

My eyes lit up, I couldn't help but admire him. "Hi," I replied quietly.

He inhaled slowly, his chest rising as his lungs filled with air. "Here," he exhaled awkwardly, shaking his head while he held out the flowers in front of him. "These are, uh, for you," he explained, sounding uncertain. He lifted his hand to scratch the back of his head. "Or, I guess, for Ben, really."

"They're beautiful," I sighed, taking the flowers from his hands, and smiling sadly as I lifted them to my nose. "Thank you."

"I- I wasn't sure what color was his favorite," he mumbled, shaking his head. "So, I just got one of every color they had."

"That's really sweet of you," I said quietly, staring at the multi-colored bouquet.

He let out a loud sigh, grinning. His smile quickly faded as his attention shifted to Peter, who was walking toward the burial spot with Gwen. "I, uh, hope it's okay that I showed up," he winced, biting his lower lip.