Chapter 34

My heart rate began to increase as James walked toward me. Three men climbed out of the SUV and positioned themselves around the vehicle so Flash and I were in their line of sight. My eyes flickered to their waists. Panic started to settle as I noticed the weapons attached to their hips. I was beginning to sweat, feeling the clammy sensation spread across my palms as the air got harder to breathe.

James continued walking toward where I was standing, seeming unphased as two other black SUVs pulled up and parked behind the first. No one else exited the vehicles, but I had a knowing feeling they were also filled with armed men waiting for word from their leader.

James came to a stop a few paces in front of us. He tilted his head to the side while staring at me. A smirk spread across his face as he nodded in my direction. "He didn't happen to say anything to you this time, did he?" he asked as his cold voice pierced through the air.

Spider-Man. Of course.

My mind raced with all of the possible ways this interaction could play out. The last time James was asking about Spider-Man's identity, I wasn't convinced it was Peter. Now that more time had passed, I was undoubtfully sure about who was underneath the mask. I'm not giving in that easily.

"Why are you here?" I asked, my voice sounding shaky and uncertain. I cleared my throat to try and even my breathing. Don't let him see your fear.

"We were in the neighborhood," James shrugged as he narrowed his eyes. "Convenient that Spider-Man was nearby to save you from that car," he stated as the smirk slowly disappeared from his face. He turned around, lowering his glasses slightly to examine the intricate webwork that was holding the car suspended in the air.

"Convenient that you showed up moments after he left," I snapped, sounding more confident this time.

"Miss Jay," James sighed, shaking his head as he turned to face me again. "I know we don't know each other that well," he said slowly as he pushed his glasses higher on his face. "But I'm willing-"

"We don't know each other at all, actually," I barked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Em," Flash murmured cautiously from somewhere behind me. "Who the hell is this guy?"

Without breaking eye contact with James, I turned my head slightly to the side. "This is the guy who approached me outside of The Bugle that one night," I explained, watching as James shifted his attention to Flash, examining him carefully.

"You're the creep who was stalking my girlfriend?" Flash growled, taking a step toward James. "What the hell, man."

"Stalking is a strong accusation," James smiled, shaking his head. "I was merely attempting to collect information from Miss Jay about a certain masked vigilante for my employer."

"Why the hell would Em know anything about Spider-Man?" Flash scoffed as he took another step closer.

James let out a frustrated sigh and brought his hand to pinch the bridge of his nose. So he has little patience. Good to know. James closed his eyes for a brief moment before responding to Flash. "We believe that Miss Jay is aware of the masked man's identity," he stated in a flat tone.

"And I already told you," I huffed, rolling my eyes in annoyance, "I don't know anything."

"Miss Jay," James scolded, lowering his gaze. "If you're going to lie to me, might I suggest improving your skills?"

"I'm not lying," I stammered quickly, shaking my head.

"Sure," James laughed, raising his eyebrows. "And I'm the Pope."