Chapter 21

I woke up the next morning to my alarm wailing. The sound caused me to slice the air in self-defense as I sat up in my bed. No more threats, please. I don't think I can take another reality-shattering event right now. I sighed once I realized I was not in immediate danger and was in the comfort of my room.

I reached over to turn off the annoying beeping coming from the clock and picked up my phone off of the charger. I smiled to myself as I listened to a voicemail from Eddie.

"Morning, shitbag. Hopefully, you charged your damn phone and get this message."

"Asshole," I mumbled, laughing quietly as I continued listening.

"They're holding a press conference about the bridge incident last night. Now, before you get all worked up and storm down here, which you shouldn't even think about doing because of your foot, I'm already on my way there. Don't you dare skip school. I'll pick you up later, just text me when you're out."

I lowered the phone from my ear, exhaling as I typed out a response to Eddie's voicemail. I explained that I could get out early today because of a free period at the end of the day and instructed when and where to pick me up. He responded immediately saying he didn't believe me, but that he would be there, regardless.

I rolled my eyes as I threw the covers off of me and moved to get out of bed. I tilted my head, examining my ankle as I cautiously lowered it to the ground. It didn't appear to be swollen or have any bruising, indicating that it wasn't sprained. I applied slight pressure to test its ability to get me to school today. It was still tender when I put all of my weight on it, but the pain was manageable.

I got ready for school as fast as I could and made my way over to the Parker's home for breakfast, not wanting to miss the live coverage of the press conference. I climbed over the barrier separating our front porches, careful to not further injure myself and opened the front door. I walked inside, the sounds of the TV in the kitchen echoing throughout the house.

"Morning," I said as I limped into the kitchen, wincing as I slid into my chair at the table.

May said nothing as she turned around to eye me. She had a stern expression on her face when she set down a bowl of cereal in front of me. She turned back around to the counter to pour me a cup of coffee.

"Thank you," I mumbled, staring down at the bowl in front of me. Damn. The silent treatment and cereal? She must really be pissed.

She sat down the mug of steaming coffee in front of me and returned to where she had been leaning against the counter.

I reluctantly grabbed the spoon, lifting a bite of cereal into my mouth as I stared at Peter. He was sitting at the table near the backdoor, watching the TV on the counter, and glaring at the small screen as he ate his breakfast.

My attention shifted to the TV as Captain Stacy's voice filled the silence in the kitchen.

"Settle down, guys. Settle down, boys," he said sternly as he tried to silence the press that was standing outside of the precinct. "Settle down. Come on. Listen. At approximately 9 p.m. last night, an incident took place on the Williamsburg Bridge."

I quickly glanced at Peter, who was avoiding my eye contact as he continued to stare at the screen. My eyes shifted to May, who was standing a few feet away, holding a carton of orange juice in her hand, and listening intently as Captain Stacy continued his debrief.

"Much of what occurred is speculation at this point. However, several eyewitnesses to the crime, as well as our own preliminary findings, have positively placed one individual at the scene."