Chapter 5

I woke up to the annoying buzzing sound of my alarm. I stretched my arms above my head, groaning as I reached over to turn off the noise. I opened my eyes, staring at the ceiling as I tried to motivate myself to get out of bed. I looked at the time, letting out a loud sigh when I realized mom had probably already left for work. I didn't remember falling asleep last night.

I slowly rolled out of bed, landing on something hard. I pulled out my chemistry book from my blanket, shaking my head as I started to get ready for school. Once I was halfway presentable for the day, I made my way to the kitchen. I opened the pantry, hoping to find something to eat. I let out a slow exhale, my disappointment filling the empty shelves. Knowing May probably already had a pot of coffee on, I decided to head over to the Parker's for breakfast.

I walked out the front door, locking it behind me, and turned to hop over the barrier between our homes. I paused when I noticed a leg dangling off the roof. Peter? I bounced down the stairs and turned to look up at the roof. Peter was sitting there, deep in thought, hunched over a book.

I stared at him for a few moments, watching as his eyes scanned the pages. His hair was sticking up in every direction, looking more untamed than usual. The rising sun was peeking over the townhomes, shining a beam onto his face. The morning light caused his brown eyes to glow a soft golden color. Even from this distance, there was no denying the warm stare that pooled behind his eyes. He looked so beautiful from this angle, high up on his pedestal.

"Hey, Em," he said without taking his eyes off what he was reading.

"Um, hey," I said quietly, shaking my head. "I didn't know you heard me come outside."

"Yeah," he said, scratching his head with his pencil. "I heard your alar- heard you close the front door."

I continued to stare at him, placing my hands on my hips. "Peter?" I questioned, "what the hell are you doing on the roof?"

"Homework," he mumbled, lifting his book in the air. He twitched uncomfortably and returned back to his reading. Something is off.

"Okay," I said quietly, taking a step forward. "I'm going inside for-"

"For breakfast," he nodded, sounding agitated. "Yeah, yeah, May's making eggs. They're burnt though."

"I'll take my chances," I shrugged as I walked up the steps to their front door. I slowly opened the door, announcing my presence as I entered.

"Oh, Emerson, honey," May mumbled as she ran past me into the kitchen.

"Good morning," I laughed as I followed behind her.

"What's that smell?" Ben asked as he walked down the stairs with his nose scrunched.

"The eggs are burning," May exclaimed. She grabbed a dish towel, wafting the air above the stove to try and clear some of the smoke out of the kitchen.

I lifted my hand to cover my nose, coughing as I inhaled a lung full of smoke. How the hell did Peter know the eggs were burning? I didn't smell it until I walked into the house.

"Looks like it's just toast today," May sighed as she scraped the eggs from the pan into the trash can. She looked exhausted.

"No worries, sweetheart," Ben assured as he leaned in to kiss her temple.

"And coffee?" I asked, raising my eyebrows as I eyed the coffee pot.

"Of course," May hummed. She poured a cup and set it down on the table, some of it spilling over the side of the mug. "Oh goodness."

"It's okay, I got it," I said as I grabbed the towel and wiped up the spill. "Are you okay, May?" I questioned, looking up at her.

"I'm fine," she sighed. "Just tired is all."