Chapter 26

I woke up to warm sunlight shining through a pair of sheer white curtains. My eyes blinked several times as I stared up at the unfamiliar ceiling. I furrowed my eyebrows, noticing that the walls were taller than I remembered.

I sat up in the bed, confused as I yawned. My eyes grew wide as I looked around the open room, not recognizing the space I was in.

My head turned, following the sounds of someone humming from somewhere within the large open space. I could faintly make out the rhythm of music playing softly in the distance.

I kicked my feet over the edge of the bed and went to investigate. My bare feet padded across the cold floor as I walked into what appeared to be a kitchen. A tall man was standing with his back to me, facing an oven. His mannerisms appeared familiar. There was also something recognizable about the way his chestnut hair was styled into a perfect mess on top of his head.

I let out a sigh of relief as the face of my best friend came into focus. Peter turned around with a frying pan in his hand. He was wearing a white button-up shirt and a dark green tie. He looked way too formal for cooking.

"Oh, you're awake," he smiled as he scraped scrambled eggs onto two plates. "I made breakfast. I was just about to come wake you," he stated, nodding his head at the food he had placed on the kitchen counter. "Want some coffee?"

"Um, yeah," I nodded, sitting down at one of the tall bar chairs that were placed at the counter. I narrowed my eyes, watching him skeptically as he poured coffee into a mug.

He picked up the drink and walked over to where I was sitting. He bent down and placed a light kiss against my temple as he set the mug on the counter.

"Thank you," I blushed, staring down at my reflection in the hot liquid. I pulled my eyebrows together as I examined the slight wrinkles near my eyes. When did those get there?

"You'd think after all these years, you wouldn't blush when I kiss you good morning," Peter laughed as he walked away to grab the plates of food. "Chocolate chips on your pancakes or do you want them plain today?"

Why wouldn't I blush when he kissed me? What did he mean? Of course, I would. "What?" I asked, shaking my head as I looked up at him, confused.

"Of course," he chuckled, his shoulders shaking as he laughed. "I don't know why I even asked. Chocolate chips it is," he smiled as he lifted the plate and returned to where I was sitting.

"Thank you," I said slowly, looking down at the delicious-looking food placed in front of me.

I don't know why, but something compelled me to look up, noticing the clock on the wall. It was nearly nine o'clock.

Peter's eyes followed my stare and he quickly started shaking his head. "I know, I know," he said, smiling softly. "I shouldn't have let you sleep in so late," he said, walking around the counter and turning my chair slightly. He placed his body in between my legs and brushed the hair out of my face, tucking it behind my ears. "But you just looked so peaceful," he said, lowering his head as he smirked. "I couldn't bring myself to wake you."

"It's almost nine," I sighed, shaking my head as I looked around the kitchen, trying to figure out whose apartment we were in. "It's not that late."

"Exactly," he said, leaning forward to kiss my lips softly. "I was worried you'd be upset about waking up late and would feel rushed to make it to the office on time," he explained as his lips brushed over my forehead. "But really, Em," he smiled, shaking his head as he walked away to the other side of the counter. "Can you honestly be late to work when you're the boss?" he asked, lifting his eyebrow as he brought his coffee mug to his mouth.