Chapter 8

I somehow managed to make it through the next few hours with minimal breakdowns. I confided in Flash and Gwen, seeking them both out during lunch to update them on Peter's abrupt departure. Gwen was sympathetic, appearing to be just as worried about him as I was. Flash on the other hand, well I could tell he was trying his best to be concerned about Peter, but it was clear he was more focused on my well-being than his.

"I'm surprised he even came to school today," Gwen stated, shaking her head. She popped a chip into her mouth, crunching it slowly as she stared at me.

"Honestly, so was I," I sighed, looking down at my phone. I had sent Peter a couple of text messages, trying to check in on him. So far, there was no response. I hope he's okay.

Flash placed his hand on my thigh, squeezing lightly as he sensed my uncertainty. "I'm sure he's fine," he assured, his eyes softening as they scanned over my face.

I turned my head toward him, not looking him in the eye, and nodded once. My gaze quickly shifted back to my phone, staring at the black screen, my own reflection peering back at me. I looked as if I hadn't had a proper night's sleep in days.

"Hey," Gwen said cheerfully, nudging my knee with her own. "Flash told me about your internship. That's exciting stuff," she exclaimed, raising her eyebrows and smiling as she bit her lip. "It's not every day I get to be in the presence of a reporter for The Daily Bugle."

I let out a small laugh, shaking my head. "I wouldn't call myself that," I said, coyly. I lifted my hand to my head, scratching my forehead with my thumb as I felt my face turn warm. "I haven't been published, yet."

"Even better then," she laughed, her smile instantly lightening my mood. "Undiscovered talent. Your genius will soon be unveiled," she stated in a low, dramatic voice, motioning toward the sky with her hands. "Just don't forget us 'nobodies' when you make it big, okay?" she asked, nodding as she raised her eyebrows, a playful grin tugging at her lips.

"Who could ever forget you," I laughed, tilting my head to examine her, pulling my eyebrows together. "You're going to be the top scientist at Oscorp, producing groundbreaking research. They'll write stories about you one day. Just you wait."

"I don't know about that. My name in the paper? No thanks," she smiled, rolling her eyes. She exhaled, pausing in thought. She quickly turned to face me, grabbing my arm as she leaned into my side. "You're the only one I'd want writing about me."

"She'll be too busy writing stories about me," Flash mocked, batting his eyelashes. "Reporting on all of my success when I go pro."

Gwen and I burst into a fit of laughter, grabbing onto one another to support ourselves from falling off the bench. I leaned forward, holding my stomach which was starting to hurt from pure amusement.

Flash's face transformed into a scowl as he exhaled defensively, crossing his arms. "It could happen," he mumbled, turning his head away from us.

"Oh," Gwen and I said in unison, pouting as we turned to face him.

I placed my hand on his arm, moving it up and down. "I'm sure it will," I stated, trying not to sound patronizing. Gwen giggled behind me, lifting her hand to cover her mouth. I nudged her lightly with my elbow.

She cleared her throat, shaking her head. "It totally will," she insisted, biting back a smile.

Flash rolled his eyes at us. "Keep laughing," he smiled, shaking his head. "Maybe I'll make an amazing play this weekend and you'll have to write headlines about me."

"I don't think you'd want me to write a story about you right now," I smiled, shaking my head.

"Of course I do," he stated, lifting his eyebrows. "How cool would it be if your first story was about something I did?"