Chapter 41

"Every night, the same dream. And every morning, the same nightmare." -Wanda Maximoff, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

I perched on top of the Brooklyn Bridge, watching the cars zoom by down below. I was thankful for my mask as the wind whipped at my face. I closed my eyes and inhaled a deep breath. Nothing felt better than when I was above the city, watching people go about their lives without a single care in the world.

"I remember the first time I took you up here," Peter chuckled, shaking his head as he ran his gloved hand over the top of his mask. "You were terrified of heights. And now look at you," he motioned with his hand while sighing, "it's like you can't get enough of it."

"That was like, ten years ago, Parker," I laughed, rolling my eyes as a smile tugged at the corner of my mouth. "A lot has changed since then."

"You can say that again," Peter exhaled as he plopped down to sit next to where I was crouched, letting his feet dangle over the side of the bridge. "I'm assuming you're smiling right now," he laughed, bumping my shoulder with his.

"That Spidey-sense of yours really works," I chirped sarcastically, shaking my head.

"I'm really glad we're doing this together now, MJ," Peter sighed, sounding lost in thought. "I never thought that I'd have a partner who understood what this life was like, and then," he shrugged, "there you were. The one person who already knew and loved Peter Parker was suddenly my equal in every way imaginable."

"Well, I don't know about equal in every way," I teased, leaning toward him. "I did stop that semi from running over those school kids the other week."

"And I stopped a train from running off the railroad," he defended, sitting up straighter. "Trains are heavier than a truck. I'm stronger."

"Care to test that theory?" I questioned, tilting my head.

"You just name the time and place and I'll-" Peter abruptly stopped talking as he turned his head to the side. "-Do you-"

"Yeah," I nodded, feeling a strange tingle lift the hairs on my arm. My eyes darted back and forth as I searched for the disruption in the atmosphere.

A bright green flash whizzed by our spot on the bridge followed by a fit of menacing laughter.

"How precious," a cold, raspy voice bellowed, "the Spiders are out searching for a spot to weave their web. Adorable."

"Yeah, we might have to rethink our location," Peter called, standing up slowly as he watched the man in the green suit rise higher into the air on his board. "Heard this part of town is filled with some creeps."

"What's the matter?" the man taunted, tilting his helmet as he examined where we stood, ready to attack. "Don't want to hatch your eggs in a place this unstable?"

"Uh, hey buddy," Peter scoffed, shaking his head while placing his hands on his hips as he looked around. "I don't know if you know this or not, but this bridge is one of the most secure structures in the city."

"Is that so?" the green man provoked, lifting his arm in the air. He was clutching a small device. "Let's find out," he sneered as he pressed the button on the device before flying away cackling.

A large boom rattled below. Flames erupted from underneath the pavement. The bridge shifted as more explosions went off. Screams cried as waves of people rushed to safety.

I shot my arms in the direction of the green-masked man, ejecting web after web from my black-gloved hands as he drifted through the sky, avoiding my projectiles with ease.