Chapter 12

I was sitting at the Parker's kitchen table, making the last edits to my attempt at a science article that I was going to send to Jameson. I had promised to send it to him this evening, so he would have enough time to approve it for tomorrow's paper. I was meticulously reading and rereading the changes Gwen and Peter had made earlier today and rewriting my wording, never seeming to be satisfied with how a sentence read.

"I'm sure it will be fine, dear," May sighed, sipping on her tea.

I raised my eyes from my laptop to her face, peering at her over the edge of my glasses. "I'm sure it will be too," I stated, turning my attention back to my screen. "I just need to make sure this makes sense. I'm not a science expert and I trust Peter and Gwen's explanations, but it just doesn't make sense the way it's written," I explained as I attempted to rewrite a sentence discussing how the masked man was able to swing away at a fast speed. "I need to make sure my readers understand."

May set down a mug of chamomile tea next to my computer, patting my arm in the process. "I bet they will, Emerson," she exhaled. "It's getting late though. I hope you won't be writing for too much longer."

I glanced at the clock on my screen. 8:30 pm. It wasn't that late in comparison to some of the long nights I've spent in the office these past few weeks. "No, I'm almost done. I just need to finish this last sentence, then I'll email it to Jameson," I grumbled, reaching out to pick up the steaming mug.

I brought the ceramic up to my lips, blowing on the hot liquid for a few seconds as I continued to read before taking a sip. My eyes narrowed, scanning over the document for any mistakes or sentences that didn't make sense. Yep. That's as good as it's going to get. I let out a loud breath and took a sip of my tea, the scorching flavor warming up my insides as I attached the article to an email drafted to Jameson.

"There," I sighed, sitting back in my seat, "Sent." I looked up to meet May's kind stare, smiling in response. I confirmed the email had been sent and closed my laptop, not wanting to continue to stare at the bright light. I reached forward, and grabbed my phone off the table, checking to see if Peter had finally responded to the text I had sent a few hours ago.

"Any word from Peter?" May asked, sounding hopeful.

"No," I exhaled, rolling my eyes. I guess he's still upset from earlier. My eyes shifted from my phone to May.

She was staring at the table, biting her nail. She looked up at me and smiled, trying to hide her disappointment.

"I'm sure he's fine," I reassured, leaning forward to grab her hand that was resting on the table. "He's probably with Gwen and too busy to respond." Stop- don't let your mind go there. "We have a test in history later this week. They might be studying." Yeah, each other.

"You're probably right," May sighed, shaking her head. "It's just so unlike him to not come home after school. He said he would pick up eggs on the way back when I spoke to him earlier. That was hours ago though."

I gave her hand a light squeeze before letting go and returning to my slouched position in the chair. "Then maybe he already left and is getting the eggs now," I shrugged, taking another sip of my tea.

"Yeah," she whispered, closing her eyes. "Maybe."

"He's fine, May," I reassured, shaking my head. "Look, if we don't hear from him soon, then we can-"

My sentence was interrupted by my phone buzzing frantically on the table. I picked it up, answering the call with haste, not even taking the time to check the caller ID.

"Hello?" I gasped, exchanging a concerned look with May.

"What is this shit in my inbox?" an angry voice yelled from the other end of the speaker. Jameson.