Chapter 36

I spent the next few weeks trying to make things seem as normal as possible between us. Eddie was making that task incredibly difficult. The repairs at Midtown High were complete, so school was back in session. It was difficult to get back into the routine of going to classes rather than working at the office.

With school resuming, this left Eddie as the main intern on call for any breaking stories. I was jealous of his ability to drop what he was doing and investigate a lead. He started acting weird after our conversation in Peter's bedroom. He still wouldn't come clean about what he was doing in Times Square that night.

I was willing to let it go. Peter on the other hand...

"It's just sketchy, Em," Peter huffed as he slammed his locker door shut and turned to face me.

The look on his face alone was enough to tell me I shouldn't press the subject. I didn't want to spend the next ninety minutes in class sitting next to an angry and vengeful Peter, but I was growing tired of repeating the same conversation.

"Look, I get it," I shrugged, gripping tightly onto the books I was holding to my chest. "He was in Times Square around the time Spider-Man was chasing some criminals. That doesn't make him one of them."

"Spider-Man hasn't been able to catch those involved in that chase," Peter fumed, closing his eyes. "It's been radio silent. No new developments on the guys that were involved." He shook his head while leaning against the lockers.

"So what are you saying?" I asked, already knowing the answer to my question.

"What I'm saying," Peter said through gritted teeth, "is that it's a little suspicious that we accuse Eddie of being involved with the shit in Times Square and then suddenly crime around that area stops."

"Yeah," I shrugged, shaking my head. "That's a weird coincidence. But, Peter. That doesn't mean-"

"Will you stop defending him?" Peter yelled, his head snapping to look at me. His eyes were bloodshot, pairing nicely with the dark circles under his eyes.

"Peter," I whispered as my shoulders sank. "When was the last time you slept?"

Peter closed his eyes and let out a slow, frustrated breath. He banged his fist against the lockers and pushed himself off, twirling in a lazy circle before bringing his hands to his face.

"Are you sleeping?" I questioned, tilting my head as I examined him.

"I sleep," he whined, his voice muffled by his hands still covering his face.

"Sure," I chuckled, shaking my head. "But not enough and not well," I mumbled, rolling my eyes. "Did you eat anything today? You left this morning before May had breakfast ready."

Peter lowered his arms to his side and stared at me with a blank expression. Of course, you didn't.

I scoffed and shoved my books into his chest. "Hold these," I instructed while shaking my head and taking my backpack off my shoulder. "You know, you're really grumpy when you're tired and hungry," I huffed while digging into my bag for a granola bar I had stashed for my commute to the office after school.

"I am not," Peter insisted, sounding mildly offended by my accusation.

After a few more seconds of searching, I finally found what I was looking for. "You are," I scolded while holding out the food for him to take.

Peter looked down at the granola bar in my hand and sighed. He pressed his lips together and looked up at the ceiling tiles. He shook his head several times before looking back at me and reaching out his hand to take the light snack. His fingers brushed over mine as he accepted the offering, sending a jolt of sparks up my arm.