Chapter 17

After having spent the majority of the day sleeping, I decided it was best to shower before leaving for Charlie's party. I wanted to freshen up before being around other people. I had no idea what to expect tonight. I had never been to anything remotely close to a party. The closest experience I could compare to is the concerts that Peter and I had attended over the years.

I didn't have a clue what was considered appropriate attire for a Halloween party. Do people still dress up? Do I wear a costume? If I don't wear one, will I be the outcast? I opted to wear my old devil horns paired with a red shirt and black jeans. It seemed like the safest option; if it wasn't a costume party, I could easily remove the horns, and if costumes were acceptable, well I checked that box with minimal effort.

I sighed, staring down at my crimson-colored shirt, tugging at the fabric uncomfortably, while I walked down the street. I pulled my jacket around me tightly, shuddering from the cool night's air. Thankfully, Charlie didn't live that far away, but it was still a trek to get there on foot.

I looked up at the sky, watching as the dark grey clouds circled above, swarming and spinning in the direction the wind was blowing. The light from the moon was reflecting on the clouds that surrounded it, creating a halo effect in the air. Tonight the bright, round sphere illuminated the dark sky like a spotlight on an empty stage. That isn't foreboding at all.

My phone vibrated, interrupting my content observations of the October sky. I reached into my pocket, struggling to pull it out of the opening, and brought it to my ear. "Hey, Flash," I smiled.

"Hey, Em. Where are you?" he whined, slurring his speech. I could hear the bass thumping as music played in the background.

"I'm on my way," I said, shaking my head. "I'm only a few blocks away."

"I miss you," he cried, sounding distressed. "Why aren't you here?"

I bit my lip, trying to contain a laugh. "I'll see you in a few minutes. I'm almost there."

There was a long pause, the low vibrating sounds soaking up the silence. "I miss you," He exhaled.

"Have you been drinking tonight?" I questioned, a smile tugging at my lips. Why was he so whiny?

"Maybe," he taunted, laughing.

The sound caused a grin to spread across my face. "I'll see you soon," I chuckled, shaking my head.

"Mmm," he sang.

I exhaled through my nose as I hung up the phone, amused by the short conversation. I was unable to contain the smile on my face. I have never heard Flash like that. The anticipation of seeing him in person caused my legs to move faster, increasing my pace.

I could hear the party before Charlie's house came into view. The muffled tones echoed down the street. Bright bursts of lights flashed from the windows, decorating the street with colors. I walked up the steps to Charlie's front door, placing my hand on the wood. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes as my hand pulsed with the vibrations from the other side.

I pushed open the door, my eyes opening to a world I had never encountered before. The energy swimming in the air around the house was immense. Bodies were covering every inch of the available floor space, dancing, screaming, and laughing. The lights pulsed to the beat of the music. Colors of deep blue, pink, and purple danced on the walls, cascading over the faces, inviting a sense of mystery and excitement. Red cups glowed in the dark light, catching my eye as they were raised high into the air and shuffled across the ground.

I pushed my way into the crowd, searching for Flash and trying my best to avoid the sweaty bodies in costumes that were having the time of their lives. The music was so loud, sending waves of sound throughout my body. I could feel the bass bumping in my bones, my chest vibrating with each drop.