Chapter 42

"At long last." -Thor, Avengers: Age of Ultron

Enjoy :)

I pulled my coat around my body tighter, hoping to salvage what little warmth remained as I stepped out of the subway exit. The snow coating the ground glistened a deep shade of orange from the glow of the setting sun. I turned the corner, heading in the direction of the warehouse. I was so lost in thought that I barely noticed the man approaching me on the sidewalk.

Apparently, he was distracted too, focused on reading whatever was in his hands. "Ah, sorry," he muttered, holding out his free hand. He was clutching a clipboard to his chest and looked frazzled.

"I'm so sorry, sir," I exhaled, shaking my head as I took a step back.

"Don't worry about it," he smiled kindly. "You okay?" he asked while furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yeah, yeah," I nodded, trying to catch my breath. "I'm good." My eyes narrowed as I examined the Union Allied Construction logo on the back of his clipboard.

The man shifted uncomfortably and adjusted his grip on the clipboard so his hand was covering the logo. "Good, I'm glad you're not hurt," he grinned, the smile not quite reaching his eyes. "We should both be more careful," he insisted while lowering the clipboard, revealing a name embroidered above the pocket of his overalls.

Toombs.

I repeated the odd name in my mind a few times, trying to solidify it in memory before tearing my eyes away to stare at his face. I forced a smile. "Couldn't agree more," I sighed, nodding my head as I stepped past him. "Have a good day."

"Yeah," he stated, sounding unconvinced. "You too."

I crossed to the other side of the street, feeling his eyes still on me as I walked away. I didn't want to give him any reason to suspect I was heading toward the warehouse. I ducked behind an alley and waited a few minutes until I was sure he was clear of the place. What the hell is a Union Allied worker doing around here? There isn't any construction happening for at least a few blocks. Plus I thought Foggy said they sold the building to some investment company.

I leaned my head back, staring at the sky that was quickly fading to dark as I tried to slow my breathing. Was that the lead Eddie was referencing when he mentioned the warehouse earlier? I pulled my phone out of my pocket and let my finger hover above Eddie's name. I shook my head and put my phone on silent before returning it to my coat. I don't want to chance it going off at the wrong moment.

I mustered up enough courage to peek around the corner of the alley to check if the man named Toombs was still hanging out around the building. I sighed a breath of relief when I was met with a seemingly empty street.

I nodded my head once and pushed myself forward, away from my hiding spot. I shoved my hands in my coat pocket and shuffled across the street. I really should invest in some gloves. I slid between a small opening in the fence that surrounded the building and made my way to the window where Eddie and I had entered the first time.

The smile faded from my face when I saw it was boarded up. Damn. I need to find another way in. I let out a frustrated exhale and started exploring the area, searching for a new way in. I spotted a door a few paces ahead and jogged over to it, glancing over my shoulder to make sure no one was around.

I hesitantly reached out my hand to grab the handle, shivering from the cool touch of the metal, and tugged on the door. To my surprise, the door creaked open, echoing throughout the empty building. I smirked to myself before entering the dark building. I should have brought a flashlight.